Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 202238 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:26 am »
I think it looks great. Good job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2007, 12:22:52 pm »
 Wow, Thats looking really good. Not bad for a bunch of Hillbilly rednecks,,,lol  maybe ya'll should send that one up north to see if it will stand up to some good ol Pacific Northwest elk huntin... LOL,,,  Keenan

Rich Saffold

« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2007, 01:55:17 pm »
 ;D That looks great as well Shannon. I raided my fly tying box years ago for the same thread..Great stuff..

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2007, 02:02:17 pm »

I like the red wrapping better... ;D

Just kidding! ;D ;D ;D

I think it really looks great, Shannon sorry you had to go to so much extra trouble. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

bullcreekboy

« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2007, 04:40:41 pm »
Working on a bow is no trouble at all, Greg. I just wanted to make sure it was what everyone wanted. 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »
Nope - go back to the red. Ha, naw - don't know why but the black does look better, looks like it'll blend better in the huntin woods. That bow is lookin great!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

duffontap

« Reply #366 on: March 13, 2007, 09:43:36 pm »
Guys, I had a heck of a time deciding on red or black when I did the bow pictured.  I settled on black for lower visibility.  In this case it seems to look better on your bow. 

Shannon, that is a great wrapping job.  I like your method of building finer thread up.  Looks more professional.  By the way--I loved that set of skins with the Stegosaurus scales.  You laid them out beautifully too. 

J. D. Duff

bullcreekboy

« Reply #367 on: March 13, 2007, 10:20:12 pm »
I wished I would have had another set that had the big scales like the one limb has so it would have matched better. The skin on the opposite limb had big scales on it at one time but they were gone. Where they had been on the skin was transparent. You can see it in a couple of the pictures. That is what the brown on the limbs is. It is the wood underneath. I have a nice piece of yellar wood that would look good with a set of these skins.  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2007, 12:22:03 am »
She looks great Shannon. The black does look good...but I do still like the red. I think every hunting weapon should have red on it. I don't know why, just cuz I guess!
Anyway, She is a beauty!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #369 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:23 am »
Pat, you and I think the same on hunting bows. I like mine to have a little red on them too. Now that I have the black wraps on there I think they fit the bow a little better. I have the first coat of CA glue drying on the bindings as we speak. Pat, I am going with a couple of coats of tung oil first before I follow up with the Tru-oil. Do I apply the tung oil to the skins too or just the wood? I have only used Tru-Oil on the bows I have done with skins so I just want to make sure. Our post office here in town must be in a black hole or something because the rattan hasn't arrived yet. It seems like every time I mail something or someone mails something to me it takes twice as long for it to show up. >:(

Dustybaer

« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2007, 04:05:00 am »
if you two like red so much, how about some red accents on the sides of the black wrapping?  you know, like cresting on an arrow.

this is a set i made for a friends birthday.  you can't see the cresting to well, but you get the idea.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2007, 09:40:11 am »
Very striking arrows Marius. You do pretty good work, no matter what the others say!
  Shannon, I'll send some more so things don't slowed up.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #372 on: March 16, 2007, 02:29:07 pm »
....Soooo, where's the pictures of the finished bow ??? ;D...great patience work Shannon you're doing (I'm not so good at it :(.)

Great collective work on that stick
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Dane

« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2007, 06:18:35 am »
Hi all you Rebs. I just posted to the northern bow thread, saying the bow sock is finished for those guys. Yours is now in the works, and should be done this weekend or the next one. It came out better than expected. I'll post pics of the finished sock tonight. Just got a new PC with Vista, so naturally, nothing is working right. That Bill Gates is evil, :)

Dane

PS Whoever gets this bow and gear is going to be very fortunate. Absolutely amazing work.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56:27 am »
Thanks Dane, we appreciate your efforts for the rebel cause.   
Shannon, Still no sign of the ratan?   Pat