Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 205470 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2007, 02:06:52 pm »

Bow looks great guys! I'm excited to see the finished product! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

bullcreekboy

« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2007, 10:11:29 pm »
I got the skins sanded down on the sides of the limbs tonights and blended in. I didn't overlay them enough at the joint so they shrunk up and left about an 1/8" gap between the joints. >:( I filled the gap with a secret recipe ;D so the wrapping lays over the joint nice and smooth. I haven't figured out what to do with the area where the skins stop on the limb. I stopped them about 1/2" from the overlays. What do you guys think about me putting a small wrap of serving around the limbs where the skins stop.  ??? Or do just want me to blend them into the limbs. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2007, 11:39:21 pm »
I usually end skins short of the tips and use a silk thread wrap set in super glue. With a series of glueing and sanding and glueing, etc, you can make a fairly smooth transition so the string will slide over easily while bracing.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #333 on: March 09, 2007, 11:46:58 am »
Looks like a good start with those skins Shannon.  How did you find working with them?  They are tough huh?!

Bow looks great guys. 

J. D.

bullcreekboy

« Reply #334 on: March 09, 2007, 03:59:41 pm »
JD, they are definately tough. They are a lot diffent to work with compared to snake skins. Even after you soak them they are till fairly stiff compaired to a snake skin. It was a bugger sanding them down when I blended them in on the sides of the limbs. I should have some pictures up this weekend.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #335 on: March 11, 2007, 11:43:50 pm »
You're killin me Shannon, I head out for Texas on Thursday, don't leave me hangin with no pics. :o

bullcreekboy

« Reply #336 on: March 11, 2007, 11:53:06 pm »
Sorry for the delay Skeater. Building our home is getting in the way of my bow time.LOL. Here is the bow with the skins on and the joints wrapped in red serving. What do you guys think? I still have to blend the skins in on the handle but the limbs are done. These skins are like sandpaper. They definately make for a now slip grip on the limbs. I will wait to soak the servings in super glue until I get the approval from you guys. Be truthful, let me know what you guys think.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #337 on: March 11, 2007, 11:56:35 pm »
WHEWWWW! I can go to bed now. Thanks.

That looks great Shannon!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2007, 12:03:58 am »
Excellant Shannon. I love the way you matched the skins. The wraps look good, too. When you are ready to apply the glue, put plenty down on the wrap and while its still wet, use a finger to smooth around the wrap. As long as it is wet, you won't stick. You will have to clean the glue off your finger. Once it is cured, sand it with fine emory cloth and apply the glue again and smooth it with your finger. By doing this in layers, you get a solid band that is smooth and can be shaped a little if needed with the emory cloth.
  You did a very nice job skinning the bow. Someone will cherish this bow for years.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2007, 12:58:20 am »
Dang that is a pretty bow, and it not even finished yet.   :o  I think Ill just buy it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2007, 02:14:07 am »
 ;D ya thats looking great Shannon!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2007, 05:33:29 am »
Great job on those skins, surely got the most out of what you had ;D

..about the red wrappings, ...hmmm I'm not sold on them,.. kinda makes look at them instead of the skins, and the skins are beautyfull.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2007, 08:26:29 am »

Shannon, great job on the skins! The wrappings could go either way, a darker either black or brown might look better. It's one of those calls that you're not sure of until after you try something. I'm cool with whatever you want to do on this one. Really great job on a difficult task! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2007, 08:38:35 am »
Nice job Shannon,I know you put a lot of work in on that,I just love those skins.JD said he might come up with some that I might trade him out of I hope he can,they look great.Are they a lot more trouble than rawhide or snake skins?I am with the other on the rap,I up for what everyone else wants.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2007, 10:11:23 am »
Shannon, I personally prefer the red thread. I use red silk when I do any wraps on bows and on my arrows with self nocks.   Pat