Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 205469 times)

bullcreekboy

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #315 on: March 06, 2007, 04:17:19 pm »
My wife just called me here at work to tell me that the bow has arrived.  ;D I can't wait to get home.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #316 on: March 06, 2007, 06:17:36 pm »
Dang Shannon, you beat me to it. :P

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #317 on: March 06, 2007, 08:59:10 pm »

Shannon, stop shooting that bow long enough to tell us what you think about it! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

bullcreekboy

« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2007, 09:27:56 pm »
Alright guys I got it unwrapped. It looks a lot different from when I sent it out a couple of months ago. I shot it a few times but did not want to push it since I don't know what kind of environment it has been in. It shots wonderful, right where you are looking. Greg and Pappy done an outstanding job on the tiller, shaping, and sanding. Skeaterbait those tip overlays are the prettiest antler overlays I have ever seen. They blend in seamlessly with the limbs. I have it sitting in my hotbox nice and cozy. I will start on it tomorrow night. You guys do good work, I hope I can do it justice.  :)

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #319 on: March 06, 2007, 09:41:06 pm »
Thank you!

bullcreekboy

« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2007, 12:23:29 am »
Alright guys. I ended up with some free time tonight so I glued the skins on.  ;D These sturgeon skins are alot thicker than snake skin. They are more like raw hide. I would venture a guess to say if a guy had a bow with a questionable back these would definately give you some protection. It took three skins and I was able to keep the joint on each limb close to the handle. I glued them on with TBIII, worked all of the air bubbles out and wrapped the entire bow with strips of fabric. I took it back out to the shop and put it in the hot box. What do you guys think about the color of serving I should use on the joints in the skin. I can get any color. I think red would probably look pretty good with the black skins. Here are the pictures of tonights progress.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #321 on: March 07, 2007, 01:22:27 am »
Can't wait to see it unwrapped, looks like it's gonna be a nice color combination,
 Shannon are you going to finish it with Tru Oil ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

bullcreekboy

« Reply #322 on: March 07, 2007, 01:27:29 am »
Yeah I am going to finish it with Tru-Oil. First I am going to put a couple of coats of Tung oil on it. I have never used Tung oil but Pat said it will really bring out the grain in the wood. I like trying something new.  ;D Hopefully we do this piece of guava some justice for you Manny.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2007, 02:21:22 am »
That will look great Shannon! Glad it arrived..in one piece! ;D

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #324 on: March 07, 2007, 05:40:38 am »
Shannon, not to go against what Pat said, but the ones I used tung oil didn't come out that nice, weather Tru Oil got the wood to look real good,

from the pictures looks like that bow as a little purpulish tinge, is that rigth ??
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #325 on: March 07, 2007, 06:04:08 am »
Looking good guys this is going to be nice.I may have to try some more of that wood.hint
hint ;D.Looks like everyone is doing a fine job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #326 on: March 07, 2007, 08:07:28 am »
Manny, I think that is more in the picture than the grain. However, my eyes ain't what they used to be  ;D

Oh yeah, and I second what pappy said about trying the wood.  ::) If you have need of any osage or hickory maybe we could work out a swap, with pappy getting first crack of course.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2007, 09:44:16 am »
Manny knows guave better than me. Use his suggestions. My statement about tung oil was a general observation.   I do like the idea of red wrapping though.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2007, 09:57:03 am »
I took the cloth wrapping off before I left for work this morning. It came out nice. :) I just need to clean up the edges of the limbs and work on the joint section a little. Manny it must be the pictures that make it look purpleish.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2007, 01:09:29 pm »
First of all, I feel like a proud dad watching my kid doing good at something,...thanks a lot guys for doing a great job with that stave.

.....hopefully when I'll get a bit settle in the future I'll be able to go cut and store Guava (It grows like weed here)
and I'll be more that happy to trade/sell as much as people like.

...Again, it's an honour to see my wood used by you guys
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:29:04 pm by NorthShoreLB »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII