Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 201933 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2007, 05:15:26 pm »
Yeap, very nice work there Pappy !!!

Glad you like the wood, I'ts very encouraging getting good feedback from good bowyers around the country.

Looking forward to see the finished product.

Manny
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline jpitts

« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2007, 10:52:22 pm »
Wow Pappy.....the bow looks great.

Ok guys....you left out breakfast......you can eat breakfat anytime according to Waffle House......but bet you don't get what I grew up with down here on the Chattahoochee.....Brains and scrambled egg's, strik-o-lean,cathead biscuits and red eye gravy. And we had RC cocacolers....but I preferred Double colas with peanuts.....the bottles were 16oz and better for throwing at road signs while going down the road. Plus you needed a tall bottle cause them ol roadrunners didn't have cup holders. Hey Dane, those sweet tater pies are good but wait till you sink a tooth into thebpumpkin pies and peecan pies. Put a plate of that on yer head, and yer tongue will beat yer brains out trying to reach it.

Sorry guys....couldn't help myself   ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2007, 10:59:01 pm »

Oh brother...I've got a feeling you're goin' get Hillbilly cranked up again with that one! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2007, 03:11:39 am »
That looks real sweet Pappy! Pele..she will be most happy :o :D
Rich-

Offline Dane

« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2007, 10:39:08 am »
Wow Pappy.....the bow looks great.

Ok guys....you left out breakfast......you can eat breakfat anytime according to Waffle House......but bet you don't get what I grew up with down here on the Chattahoochee.....Brains and scrambled egg's, strik-o-lean,cathead biscuits and red eye gravy. And we had RC cocacolers....but I preferred Double colas with peanuts.....the bottles were 16oz and better for throwing at road signs while going down the road. Plus you needed a tall bottle cause them ol roadrunners didn't have cup holders. Hey Dane, those sweet tater pies are good but wait till you sink a tooth into thebpumpkin pies and peecan pies. Put a plate of that on yer head, and yer tongue will beat yer brains out trying to reach it.

Sorry guys....couldn't help myself   ;D

Something must be rubbing off hanging out with you southern boys - I understood most of what you said. :) Pecan and pumkin pie I love from way back, and I have a killer chocolate pecan pie recipe (as and ye shall recieve, but you have to make your own shortcrust to do the recipe justice). Red eye gravey- yum. Brains with eggs - not so yum. My granddad loved that stuff, though. I don't think he was southern, but some of my ancestors were Rebs - including John Hunt Morgan. Buddy of mine keeps wanting me to joint the Sons of the Confederacy, as a matter of fact.

That had nothing to do with the bow subject, but I can say I am going to start weaving your sock (saving your tater sack, thankfully) in the next week or so.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2007, 02:05:41 pm »

Dane, sadly I must inform you that the tater sack met a much less noble fate then what becoming a bow sock would have been...it was used to patch some worn reb clothing. So now we're for sure relying on you to supply our bow sock! So sad... ;)

How about that chocalate pecan pie recipe? ;D
Greg

Offline Dane

« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2007, 02:56:36 pm »
Greg, my pleasure. I will find it tonight and get it to you. One of those sure fire recipes that always comes out perfect. And no, you don't have to make the pie crust from scratch, just better that way.

A shame about that potato sack, but I guess it will keep you from freezing in your threadbare old battle clothing.

It looks like the Yankees are losing the war of the bows here. I may have to jump sides at one point. :) Don't tell them, though.

Oh, btw, just found out there were significant Confederate sympathizers in Greenfield MA, the old industrial town I live in. Nifty bit of history there. And oddly, Gen Rommel's brother is buried in town too. The world is plain old weird.

Offline Dane

« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2007, 08:18:05 pm »
Here it is, as promised; Fudge Pecan Pie

2 lrg eggs
3 ozs semisweet chocolate
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup pecan halves
1 9" unbaked pie shell

Preheat over to 325.

Whisk eggs until just combined in small bowl. Set aside. Coarsely chop cho. and cut butter into small pieces.

Melt choc. over low heat along with butter, stirring till smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar, flour, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in pecans, and pour into pie shell.

Bake on baking sheet in middle of oven until set and puffy, about 55 to 60 minutes. Cool, and serve warm. Great with ice cream or whipped cream.

Okay boys, get in the kitchen and get busy. :)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2007, 08:40:08 pm »

Thanks Dane, sounds good! Don't know if we have all them fancy fixin's ingredients down here or not. ;D
Greg

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2007, 09:12:27 pm »
Trying to catch up with this thread (limited time at the library), but I'm running into so many posts that I need some translation :), so I'm kinda skipping a bit.

did you post a front view picture ? how wide did you leave it ?did you ever tempered the belly ?

1 3/4 of retained reflex sounds real good to me :)

I'm really glad and honored that you guys have chosen some of my wood to create a bow.

I guess Hawaii is way south ;D ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

bullcreekboy

« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2007, 09:17:41 pm »
Manny,
It is good to see you around. I hope we do this guava bow some justice. How has life been treating you. Have you been hunting with any of those yellar bows yet.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2007, 09:21:53 pm »
Killed a nice big pig with one of my old Guava bows a couple of days ago.

I think I'm going to retire this one now, and force myself to hunt with either a YEW or OSAGE bow, ...maybe ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2007, 09:37:59 pm »
Translated to English (luckily I'm bilingual, I took yankee as a furrin language in high school):

Chocklit Pee-can Pie

Couple a hen aigs
Couple a goo goo bars
Half a print of  cow butter or a wad of hawg lard
Handful a store-bought sweetnin'
skoal can fulla plain flair
Squirt of vaniller ex-tract or a slug of white likker
Handful er two of pee-cans (take the hulls offen 'em)
One a them store-bought pie hulls what comes in the 'luminum dog dish

Build a fahr.

Put th' hen aigs in a old cool-whip tub and beat hell out of 'em. Cut the cow butter and goo goo bars all to pieces ('bout the size of scratch feed).

Set the goo goo bars and cow butter pieces on the fahr 'til they's all melted like. Take it off the fahr an' pour th' sweetnin', flair, vaniller ex-tract,  hen aigs an' pee-cans in there with it. Mash it all up together. Pour all that mess into that there store-bought pie hull.

Pile some big flat rocks up around the fahr to hold th' heat in, an putcher pie hull in there fur 'bout a air or so. Slap some homemade ice cream on there an' lay hell on it. When your done, you can take the 'luminum pie pan and feed your coon dog out of it.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:13:42 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

bullcreekboy

« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2007, 09:55:27 pm »
Hillbilly this is scary because I knew exactly what you were saying.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2007, 09:56:39 pm »
The bow showed up today, looks really nice, Guava is a very handsome wood, not the mention the job done on it so far. I will let set for a couple or three days and stare at it until something hits me for overlays. I'll get pics out as soon as I can.