Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 201856 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »
Translated: "what's on fer chow?"
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2007, 02:38:45 pm »
  Wal' shoot Dane, why didn't y'all say that ?..bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2007, 03:30:25 pm »
You mean that youins don't speak reglur ol' anglish up there? Hell, I didn't even mention branch lettuce, creases, souse meat, livermush, and blackstrap 'lasses ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:33:17 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2007, 03:46:09 pm »
...and what 'bout slumgullion, chittlins and hogs head cheese ?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2007, 03:49:25 pm »
Pat, I don't even know what slumgullion is, much less them poor ol' yankees. Must be a flatlander thang lol. I think youins's hawgs head cheese is the same thing as our sousemeat.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2007, 03:55:06 pm »
I guess that's a flatlander thang too.     I think slumgullion is a combo of a little of everything on hand. Kinda like a stew.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2007, 04:56:54 pm »
If those yankee fellers ever went to one pig pickin', they'd never be sassified with that yankee food again.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2007, 09:05:44 pm »
You rebs still talking in code? Is any of that stuff edible?

I did used to eat a lot of grits when I was vacationing, thanks to the US Army, in Georgia. I kind of liked them, but only with sugar. Plain, I couldnt really take them. I heard you guys like sweet suff, so maybe you are supposed to eat them that way?

Do you really mean you eat head cheese down south? Really? Glad I was born out west, even if you do consider me a yankee now.

Dane

PS would one of you gents translate all those exotic terms for me? If I ever go down you way, I need to know what you guys are jawing about. :)

PPS A southern buddy of mine from Georgia used to go on and on about how great moon pies and RC cola were sitting on the porch. Was he just fooling me?

Offline sonny

« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2007, 09:10:50 pm »
 moon pies and RC sittin on the porch. heck they'r a bunch better ifn you eat 'em.  ;D
we talk like that so y'all yanks don't know weer talkin about ya.....   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:20:38 pm by persimmon »
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:54 pm »

Yep, he was telling you straight...them moon pies and rc cola's are sum good eatin'. I like them goo goo bars to myself!  My yank brother-in-law has us bring him some when we come to visit. ;D

Dane, see what your generous offer to make us a bow sock has started? You got all us rebs thinking of what good grub to feed you if and when you ever decide to visit us southerners. The Tn. Classic in May would be a good opportunity for that visit. We cook some fine dutch oven meals! Promise we'll provide safe passage back up north! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2007, 09:17:41 pm »
I thought that was what it was really all about!

I meant eating them. You knew that. I know you did. As my wife loves to point out when I make a joke, everyone wants to be a comedian. :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2007, 10:19:56 pm »
OK Dane-translation from English to furrin yankee talk:

Poke sallet: cooked greens from young sprouts of the pokeberry plant (Phytolacca americana). Stinks to high heaven when you're cooking it. Tastes horrible. Many people love it.

Ramps: Wild plant in the onion family that grows here in the mountains and even up north (Allium tricoccum) Very strong flavored and scented, very delicious, traditional spring food here. There ain't nothin' better than a big mess o' speckled trout, cornbread, fried taters and ramps.

Branch Lettuce: Another wild plant (Saxifraga micranthidifolia). Grows in wet places in the woods- seeps and little branches (what y'all would call a brook). Good eatin'.

Creasy greens: More wild greens. Plant in the mustard family that grows in old fields and farmland (Barbarea ssp.)

Souse meat and livermush: Nasty concoctions made from used pig parts. Souse meat is made from ground pig head parts, seasoned up. Livermush is known elsewhere as "liver pudding". Tastes about like it sounds.

Blackstrap 'lasses (aka "long sweetnin' "): Homemade molasses. Has to be made by feeding sugar cane stalks into a molasses mill that is powered by a mule, preferably an old and grumpy, stubborn, flatulent one named "Bill". Good stuff.

PS- RC co-colers and moon pies are nature's perfect food. Any carbonated beverage here is a co-coler, regardless of brand or flavor, as in: "Billy Ray, what kinda co-coler you want to drank with yore catfish and creasies?"

Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:20 pm »
..Oh Lordy Steve,Y'all makin' me want to et' !.....bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:25 pm »
That is starting to sound like Korean food now. I had a buddy spend a couple of years over there. He didn't have no fancy names for it, just good old boiled dog and  ditch weed (whatever kind of greens they could find).  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2007, 11:57:42 pm »
 .................Hey Justin , Come to florida and I'll feed ya' some Taal-holelke, sofkee and sho-ke !