Author Topic: making a flat bow with recurved tipped out of osage  (Read 2891 times)

huckfinn

making a flat bow with recurved tipped out of osage
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:18:53 pm »
does any one know the best way to recurve the tips on a  Osage Flat bow i have a form i need to know the best way to attach the bow to the form if to use rubber strips or clamps??? thanks  to everyone for the great info. jimmy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:17:28 am by huckfinn »

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: making a flat bow with recurved tipped out of osage
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:50:02 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14132.0.html

JustAim posted a good picture on my question
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: making a flat bow with recurved tipped out of osage
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:24:06 pm »
Here is a pic of one of my forms for recurving tips. I have another a bit more dramatic but not so much as JustAin's. 
   I use a heat gun and oil on osage. Any veg oil will work. Having a metal support band tight against the outside of the curve will help prevent splintering.   Generally I will have the form set up in a vise at about a 45deg angle, oil the bow and place it in the form and secure the support band. I begin heating the area to be bent and when gravity begins to pull the bow down, it is hot enough. I pull the bow down to the form, adjusting any twist and clamp it in place. If there is any additional twist in the tip a wedge here or there will help. Let it cool overnight and work the other tip.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC