Author Topic: how many till you got a shooter/ crack ?s  (Read 8449 times)

radius

Re: how many till you got a shooter/ crack ?s
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 02:23:12 am »
mike ur hilarious!  quoting yourself!

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 03:33:37 am »
I broke my first one, the second is still shooting today. I've broke three more since then, It's just part of the process just keep learning and keep trying and you'll get it.
SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 05:22:55 am »
I never work Osage less than a year old,I only use dry heat after steaming if it is less than 2 years old and only use dry heat when it is over 2 years old.I also seal it with polly or something like that. :)
Unless the checks run off the edge they won't hurt anything.Just fill them wit super glue and carry on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 07:09:54 am »
What everybody else said. I broke a couple when I started, and made a few with chrysals and 3" of string follow. Much of my problem was trying to make bows from green wood. One suggestion I have-go to an event like the TN Classic where there are a hundred experienced bowyers sitting around who wil give you some hands-on advice. I would have started making good bows much sooner if I had done this-it's like being able to walk into the Bowyer's Bible. :) Like somebody said, my first attempts many years ago were after reading Laubin's book. Laubin knew his stuff, but he was talking about 48" sinewed osage recurves and stuff that it took him a lifetime of bowbuilding to work up to. I agree with everybody else-get you a couple staves of hickory, white ash, or elm and make a couple of long flatbows to get yourself headed down the right path. And you may find yourself preferring them to the fancier bows you'll build later.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 08:38:59 am »
Knap, there's no need to try to make your all wooden bow look like a glass bow. Choose a nice straight stave. No heating and bending just yet. A little twist is ok. I seldom do. I broke 14 to answer your question. Thanks, FVR. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline knap_123

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 10:08:33 am »
thanks guys,  i will take all the advise and apply it. i  new it was to green  but it was a kids bow  and very  thin  so i thought it wouald be ok.    i  was trying to practice on a small scale  before i tackled a larger scale.  i have  succesfully  tillered 2 bows.  one i made  thats my first  shooter.  a friend  taught me how to  chase a ring on  and  got me down 2 a very thick blank.  i still have it but its realy strong so i put it up in hopes of  one day  going back and fixin it. this is it here  and another that a guy sent me that all i had to is tiller.   i still havent  added any cosmetics to this bow yet.  its  72#  at 26" and i thought  of  waiting till i get up to see  ridgerunner  and see  if he couald help me get the weight down.  but i might just leave it  a shoot it like it is.   luckly i have access to 500 acres or  deep  forested osage to cut.  so i'm to worried of wasting  good wood.   the owner of the land considers it a pest  and  lets me cut all i want.  but its all swamp  so nows not a good time to go.  maybe in the fall when the mosquitos and snakes are down.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 10:09:34 am »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:49 pm »
That one is looking pretty good,I broke probably 6 or 7 before I got my first and still break one on occasion.Sometimes it ant you,sometimes it's the wood don't want to be a bow,it wants to cook brats instead.You can get away with a lot of thing from time to time but as you go along you will find there are a few rules that can't be broken. :) Stay at it ,you will get there and when you do there is nothing like shooting your first arrow out of you first bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 12:46:09 pm »
what is brats?????????

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »
Bratwurst. Good with peppers, onions, and cold beer.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »
OK now im hungry..... No brat trees on location, and especially no beer to simmer them in.

Ive had 4 shooters out of 20, and your doing fine the tiller looks good on those you posted pics of.
Longview, TEXAS