Author Topic: Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair (fixed after 5 years!!!)  (Read 10214 times)

Offline adb

Re: Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair (fixed after 5 years!!!)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »
Your tiller looks pretty nice, so far. The pic is a bit blurry, but other than that, looks OK. Where are you at (in terms of draw weight & length)?

Also, for me, you've got too much going on in the background on your tiller tree. I just use simple horizontal lines, 2" apart. Do you use a scale in-line while tillering?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:53:30 pm by adb »

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:44:59 pm »
Now, something I have been wanting to tackle for years.  Making those cool ELB slip on tips.  I was hesitating it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but who knows how many hours I have in getting em on.

Got em on some little sticks, and cutting and grinding, and sanding.

Lots of work fitting.

Starting to wonder if this is worth it.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 01:47:53 pm »
So after all that fitting, I screwed up the tiller, now the top limb is over 2.5" longer, and as you can see, its too much, I would have to raise my arrow nock way too high over center.  Had to cut and redo top.

Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »
First time for horn nocks is a bit of a pain in the arse, but like you said, it gets easier. The transition between wood and nock is the hard part. Check out some of toomanyknots ELBs. His transitions are world class.

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 01:51:09 pm »
So after all that fitting, I screwed up the tiller, now the top limb is over 2.5" longer, and as you can see, its too much, I would have to raise my arrow nock way too high over center.  Had to cut and redo top.

??? It's usually the bottom limb that becomes longer, but your tiller looks fine in the pic.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
So, hours later, really just PO'd at this bow, I got the tiller where I want it.  Shot it a bunch, and she is at 55lbs.  This bow did not want to loose wieght.  I felt like I scraped for hours to get down to 55lbs.

Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 01:54:39 pm »
Your tiller is wonderful.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
So, this bow is a firsts of lots of things.  First time with a sleeve, first time with yew, first time slide on horn nocks.  So, I did something I have been meaning to try.  A modified Strunk type handle.

I couldn't do it like he does, because its a takedown and can do the wraps nice at the top, but finally got it the way I like it.

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 02:00:54 pm »
Thanks adb.

So, after all that and I bet 50 hours of work or more, here she is.  Named her 2-pac, one because I think thats funny, and two, because it comes in two, and easy to pack.

Some of the tips

Broken down.  This also was a time killer.  Took days to fit. Now she pops like a cork.

Another broke down shot

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:05:50 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 02:03:02 pm »
And finally, the finished product at full draw.  Feels good to get this monkey off my back.  everytime going out to the garage, I would see it, and say, "not right now".  Thanks. for looking

2-Pac
67" NTN
55lbs @ 28"

Westminster, MD

Offline Weylin

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 02:18:07 pm »
Well done! Nice save. It pays to have persistence sometimes, doesn't it.  :D

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 02:32:21 pm »
Nice work perseverance pays big dividends!

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 03:31:36 pm »
Nicely done! I've had bows like that... looked at them for months (or more) and just never 'got around to it.' I actually just finished one of those... I just have to finish up the grip, and I'll post it soon. It's been laying on my bench for over a year, waiting for glue-up and profiling. Sometimes I'm not 100% sure why stuff like that doesn't get done.  ::)

Did you make out OK with tip alignment using the take down sleeve?

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 07:47:45 pm »
I don't know why, but I am great at starting bows, but finishing is tough.  I got to be in a real mood for floor tillering.  Floor tillering is little monotonous.   Now, after I get a string on it, I tear into it. 

What I did to keep alignment, was to keep the fit the uncut billet to the sleeve, then trim out its shape to make sure tips are aligned.

Thanks

Nicely done! I've had bows like that... looked at them for months (or more) and just never 'got around to it.' I actually just finished one of those... I just have to finish up the grip, and I'll post it soon. It's been laying on my bench for over a year, waiting for glue-up and profiling. Sometimes I'm not 100% sure why stuff like that doesn't get done.  ::)

Did you make out OK with tip alignment using the take down sleeve?
Westminster, MD

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 10:17:45 pm »
NICE JOB!  You really pulled that one off!  good save!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?