Author Topic: Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair (fixed after 5 years!!!)  (Read 10216 times)

Offline bigcountry

Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair (fixed after 5 years!!!)
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:34:30 am »
Ok, so a few months ago I broke this yew longbow on its belly by bending the wrong way after having on a tiller tree.  Learned a tough lesson.  So I got a hold of this one yew billet.  I am thinking of cutting the yew bow in half, and trying to fit to some metal sleeves like 3R's sells and fitting a new limb.  This bow was an attempt to build the one like in TBB Vol1.  A semibend in the handle bow.  Now, if I put the sleeves on, its going to be stiff handled I realize, but its 69" long now.

Think its a good idea?  Or should I shop around for another billet and do a Z-splice and make a stiff handled yew bow?  The side that was not broken had a nice even tiller before it broke, so I guess the challenge would be to match it up.
Are sleeves very reliable and strong?

My dimensions around the handle are 1" X 1.25".  Do you think that is enough wood for a small sleeve from 3R?

Here is the bow with the billet.  I have the bow tie wrapped up together where it broke.

Here it is after the break. 

:o
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:21:24 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

Re: Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:10 am »
Hey, why not go for it? Worst case scenario is it doesn't work, but you're bound to learn something along the way!

radius

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:52:24 am »
that billet almost looks big enough to split in half and make a whole new bow...what dimensions is it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 05:25:33 am »
I like the sleeves,I am doing an Osage right now on 2 bows I had a limbs break.I am not sure on the size I always get the small.I think they have the dimensions of them in the book.I got one from 3 rivers but got this last one from Mike Yancey. They work pretty good ,you just have to be careful not to bend or warp them while you are working on them.Very close fit.Keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:15:34 am »
that billet almost looks big enough to split in half and make a whole new bow...what dimensions is it?

When I bought it, I bought it under the assumption I could split in half.  Its 3" wide which I thought was plenty wide, but that one side has those huge knots.  I am sure a skilled bowyer might be able to make magic out of it.  But not I.  So sat thinking what to do.  And this is the best I came up with. 

I might give the sleeve a try.  Unless I see another good billet somewhere.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:17:07 am »
I guess the only thing that bothers me is it was a slightly bend in the handle bow.  And not sure if the sleeve will keep it stiff enough. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:56 am »
It will,it's steel outside and brass inside. about 4 inches or so long.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:29:36 am »
I was wondering if you could use that other billet and make a z splice and use it. Dean

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:42:26 pm »
It will,it's steel outside and brass inside. about 4 inches or so long.
   Pappy

Called 3R's and talked to a guy there.  He said they are very rigid.  So I don't have to worry about that.  So then we got into size and do I have enough wood on the old bow.  My handle on the old bow is little under 1" X 1.2".  He said the sleeve on the inside was those exact dimensions, but wished I had more wood to make a tight fit. 

So I started adding it up and it would be 60 dollars for MT13 epoxy and sleeves.  Pretty expensive for an experiment.  And I could probably get a nice billet for that price.  So I got to decide what to do.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 05:45:19 am »
I got the last one from Mike Yancey and just used a tube of 2 part epoxy from Wally world.I may have 40 in it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:55:35 am »
I went ahead and ordered it.  I will shot pictures if it works out. 
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

Re: Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair (Fixed after 5 years)
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 01:20:34 pm »
So, I found my old thread when I broke my first yew bow.  I was trying to replicate the Trad Bowyers Bible Vol 1 bow.

So after unmeasureable hours, I bought a billet, put on a take-down sleeve, made some horn tips, and got what I think is one of my best bows yet.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

Re: Need advise on Yew Longbow Repair (fixed after 5 years!!!)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:32:34 pm »
So, lets go back and see the damage.  Very sad.  Turned the bow backwards and decided to take out some set.  Tough lesson learned
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »
About 4 years, ago found a suitable billet on the fleebay

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »
Lets fast forward about 4 years to before Christmas 2013. 

Over the past 4 years, I came back and forth to the bow, and fitted a takedown sleeve, major pain in the rear.  Finally got it on the tiller board.  Getting there.

Westminster, MD