Author Topic: TRUOIL...what is it and why is it so sticky?  (Read 3170 times)

radius

TRUOIL...what is it and why is it so sticky?
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »
the title of this thread says it all

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: TRUOIL...what is it and why is it so sticky?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:59:51 pm »
Tru Oil is 56 percent Mineral Spirits....33 percent (classified) Modified Oils.... 11 percent Polymerized Linseed Oil..so it's is more or less a form of Varnish.......and Linseed Oil is sticky!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »
Never noticed it to be particularly sticky, not as sticky as polyurethane or similar finishes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

radius

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:13:31 pm »
well i found it was sticky--not like glue, more like sap--when i applied it to my bow.  but then again, i dumped the bottle over and got it all over the table!

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:45 pm »
Truoil is a gun stock finish. It takes forever to dry. I have to leave it several days to dry, and I live in a dry climate.

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:52 pm »
I can put a coat a day on here in Nevada, even when our humidity is up in the 20% range. The only times it doesn't dry is when I forget to degrease an exotic wood. ADB you must have some old stuff or somethin.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 08:22:12 pm »
If Tru-oil gets very old it takes a long time to dry.  Fresh Tru-oil will dry to the touch in a couple hours and can be buffed and recoated in less than 24.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:41:37 pm »
Truoil is a gun stock finish. It takes forever to dry. I have to leave it several days to dry, and I live in a dry climate.

adb, something must be wrong with the bottle you are using or your method of application. In warm and dry weather I can apply 3 coats in a day.

The other possibility is that you are applying it directly to naturally oily wood (some tropical hardwoods for instance). If you do so it will never dry properly. For oily woods I first apply a primer coat of schellac and then put tru-oil over it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:44:57 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:21:57 am »
I put Tru Oil on with my Fingers....I never noticed it to be sticky...more like Linseed Oil than anything else....even gets warm like Linseed Oil does....and I too can get two to three coats a Day here in Texas...no problem...when I am going to use Tru Oil on an oily wood like Osage or Ipe....I just use a little Acetone on a Rag....wipe it down good....let it dry...not too long or the Oils will come back....and then coat it good with my Finger...just dipping it in the Bottle...works great for Me
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:50:06 am »
I do it about like EL and never really had a problem with it.I do sometimes put it in the hot box when it is really Humid outside or inside over an ac duct.Never notice it being sticky. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good