Author Topic: Cloth backings  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Eagle Eye Eli

Cloth backings
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:21:16 pm »
Once again I turn to the Master Bowyers,

Gentlemen,  I'm about to complete two kids bows (hickory.) Both are  50" long  49" NTN 20# @ 20 " and I'm backing them with a digital camo cloth for safety.  The question is, after completion how do treat the cloth, does it stay as is, just glue up, or can the cloth  be sealed with a varnish or a urethane along with the rest of the bow. 

Thanks

Eagle Eye Eli

Offline adb

Re: Cloth backings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
I think lots of guys put another layer of glue on top of the cloth. I just finish it as I would any other bow. I've been using a wipe-on poly lately, and I'm very impressed with the results.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:11:49 pm »
Ole Eagle Eye..I always apply the Cloth with Titebond2...then when it sets...I put another coat on it...and then another if needed to smooth the Surface....then I sand it smooth and apply either Tru Oil or Polyurethane over it....works great
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eagle Eye Eli

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:34:44 pm »
Thanks Guys,   I have a bottle of TBII in the shop as well. I'll apply a couple of coats to the bows when they dry.

Eagle Eye

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:23:59 pm »
Pretty much the same here.   Canvas glued on with TB II, then covered with slightly thinned TB II........dried well, sanded with 150 grit, just to take the "hairs" off, and wipe-on poly.    Sometimes i forget what I'm doing and shoot on a little guitar lacquer. 

piper