Author Topic: boning wood  (Read 5890 times)

radius

boning wood
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:17:46 pm »
People still do this?

Does it have a significant effect on the durability of a bow?

TIA

Offline medicinewheel

Re: boning wood
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:38:55 pm »
Yes, I do this and I'm sure it has an positive effect on the durability!
Frank from Germany...

radius

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:46:25 pm »
the only bone i have here, i don't wanna use for that...shotglass do?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:53:16 pm »
Shotglass.....Hickory Spoon Handle....my favorite.....Long Shank Screwdriver Shaft..anything that is small...round....smooth and hard should work just fine to compress the Wood Cells..........JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 01:28:30 pm »
I sometimes burnish the back of some selfbows, mostly yew. It compresses the cells, and I believe makes it less likely to lift a splinter. I especially burnish the back of yew selfbows on which I haven't chased a single ring.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:37:02 pm by adb »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:21:40 pm »
Scott,

I got your PM but could not respond because your Inbox is full. So here is my answer:

It wouldn't hurt to burnish the back, but be careful because yew heartwood is very soft -  don't overdo it. I often use a glass bottle for burnishing. If your stave has a lot of knots and you are not going to back it, I would keep the weight around 50# or less.

Gordon
Gordon

radius

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »
thanks for the hint, Gordon...i deleted a bunch of old messages!  As for the draw weight, too late.  It pulls ~58# at 28 right now.  I've been doing a buildalong for it, but now i just have to bone it and get some oil on there and i'll post some pics in this section.

I picked up some 5/16 birch dowel to bone it with, and i'll use the rest to make a bow rack.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:41:13 pm »
Also, make sure whatever you're using to burnish with is perfectly smooth, otherwise you'll get gouges. I personally use a burnishing tool. It's used to burnish the edge of scrapers and tool blades. It's very smooth, and hard.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »
I use an empty beer bottle and a good light source to see the spots I've missed.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »
Also, make sure whatever you're using to burnish with is perfectly smooth, otherwise you'll get gouges. I personally use a burnishing tool. It's used to burnish the edge of scrapers and tool blades. It's very smooth, and hard.

I use the exact same tool; used bone before, but this is way better!
Frank from Germany...

radius

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 03:20:13 pm »
ok so i just boned the thing and my shoulder is damn tired and i think it's good...next step:  do it again

Offline woodstick

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 03:29:32 pm »
i use a small mason jar. works real good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Adam Keiper

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 06:54:04 pm »
I burnish all my bows, back and belly, for three reasons really.  First, it creates an exceptionally smooth finish that can't be matched by sanding alone.  Next, I feel that it provides some protection against splinters raising.  And finally, the compressed cells form a natural moisture barrier that serves as a second level of defense beneath whatever coating you wipe or spray on top.  If you place a drop of water on the bare wood of an unburnished bow, you'll see that it soaks in on contact.  Do the same thing on a burnished bow and the water will bead.  Similarly, if you dye a burnished bow, the grain won't raise. 

radius

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 07:14:30 pm »
thanks Adam!  That's awesome advice.  I did bone the thing, twice, and yeah it gets like glass, especially the knots...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »
If you burnish a bow before staining the stain will not be absorbed. I used to burnish but don't anymore. I don't think it helps in holding a bow together. But it won't hurt. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!