Author Topic: Taking out set  (Read 5705 times)

Offline newknapper

Taking out set
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:14:54 pm »
I got a Dogwood 58#@27" that has taken about 2" of set. I would like to bring it back straight. If I heat it back straight will I need to retiller? Also will it pull back into set again or should I temper the belly? Also it has 2-3 coats of true-oil on it, whats the best way to remove it if I decide to straighten it back? Thanks alot

Offline Dano

Re: Taking out set
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:58:25 pm »
Build a new bow, it isn't worth the effort to strip the finish and toast the belly, the set is done, enjoy the bow the way it came out and go on.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline newknapper

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:05:13 pm »
Alright, the bow shoots good. Guess I was doing more for asthetics more than anything.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:08:27 pm »
Dano's right. If the bow's already shot in, it's very likely you'll do more harm than good.  The reason it has set is because the belly has compressed.  Heating and pulling it back doesn't fix the problem. It simply stretches wood fibers that have been compressed and will often cause cracks to tear open on the belly. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »
Build a new bow, it isn't worth the effort to strip the finish and toast the belly, the set is done, enjoy the bow the way it came out and go on.
I agree. 2" of set is nothing. It sounds like a good bow... go and shoot it. Why do so many new bowyers get so hung up on set?? A little bit of set (<2") is actually a good thing.

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:37:38 pm »
Asthetics, I suppose we all get hung up on it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline newknapper

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 04:52:43 pm »
I agree. 2" of set is nothing. It sounds like a good bow... go and shoot it. Why do so many new bowyers get so hung up on set?? A little bit of set (<2") is actually a good thing.

What makes set a good thing?

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:10:37 pm »
SET is called SET for a reason.

It's there, it's done. 

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:07:15 pm »
SET is called SET for a reason.

It's there, it's done. 

:D :D :D

nothing wrong with some set, .....makes it easyer to brace  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:37:50 pm »
My best bow "Greta" carries 1.5" of it around with her.  The deer hate it when they see me carring her into the woods. ;D A lil set makes the bow shot sweeter to me.  Just shoot it and make more,I'll bet you will go back to this bow and wonder why you built anymore. ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »
What makes set a good thing?... If your bow has taken just a slight bit of set, you know you've got the limbs as light as possible, thereby minimizing limb mass, and maximizing cast. This is assuming proper tiller for design, of course. Poor tiller, poor design, or poor wood will worsen set.
The bow is also less harsh to shoot, and slightly sweeter in the hand , and more accurate IMO.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:20 pm »
I am very accurate with this bow now that yall mention it, so I guess I should leave it alone. Thanks guys for the help.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 10:48:50 am »
Can you show us some pics?

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 11:06:31 am »
I have tried to heat and reflex out the string follow on several bows, the deflex came back in every one of them.

One time I toasted the belly of a very sluggish, deflexed BBO and ended up with a straight limbed rocket launcher, 5 lbs heavier than than the bow I started with. The string follow did not come back in this bow.

Toasting the belly might work but again, 2" of string follow isn't that bad.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 12:49:38 pm »
Leave it be.....enjoy the Bow....and rest assured the Set will not do it any Harm...but to the Contrary....may make it last a lot longer........ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome