Author Topic: Making arrows longer  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Kegan

Making arrows longer
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:18 pm »
I have nine arrows that are all fletched and perfect, but only 27" long, where as I need 30". Besides footing (which is plan B), is there any way to add length to solid dowel arrows?

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
Re: Making arrows longer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:47:13 pm »
I think you might find someone to trade if you tried
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:50:14 pm »
I have nine arrows that are all fletched and perfect, but only 27" long, where as I need 30". Besides footing (which is plan B), is there any way to add length to solid dowel arrows?

Grab both ends and pull really hard and you might be able to stretch it.  ;-)

IIRC, "footing" is the usually the term used for extending or reinforce the shaft at the nock end.

I would add a foreshaft.  Typically those are used with hallow shafts, but they can be added to a solid shaft too.  I would use a scarf joint with a length 8 times the diameter, so about 3 inches, glued and wrapped.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:56 pm »
well if you know any carpenters,i would ask them if you could borrow their board stretcher
that should work just fine lol
just kidding
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »
I have seen a website that sales a wooden add on that can be used on wooden arrows. I will try and find it again...... Or how about some of those TopHatŪ Wood Adapters you can buy???
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »
Check the PA magazines.  I know one of the advertisers has an add selling footings with a 5 degree taper in a few different woods.  Just glue and line them up.

Offline scattershot

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:00 am »
Footing is the correct term, and the premade footings are sold by Reparrows, Ironwood Archery. http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Ironwood/woodbows.html

I don't know if you can get the extra length you need, tough.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:46:28 am by scattershot »
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go look through my dad's shop, see if he hsa an old board stretcher lying about, if not I guess I'll jsut suck it up and foot them ;D

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:21 pm »
Kegan, A scarf joint or a wedge and "V" joint(whatever it is called) will work fine. I have replaced self nocks this way with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 12:24:16 pm »
Thanks Pat. You have any advice for putting the cut in the footing piece? seems to be my biggest issue :P.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 01:52:05 pm »
Thanks Pat. You have any advice for putting the cut in the footing piece? seems to be my biggest issue :P.

Fiddler made a scarf jig.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:30 pm »
lets just shoot it

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:54 am »
Kegan, I have done short scarf joints for repairing self nocks and used a belt sander and eyeballed the taper. Probably not the best approach but I have been lucky!  ;D    You can easily make a jig with   the proper taper  good for consistency.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC