Author Topic: Sinew backed white oak  (Read 8584 times)

Offline Kegan

Sinew backed white oak
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:09 am »
Just finished this one out. Its been in the works for a while. Orignially I intended to make it longer, being only 1 3/4" wide, but piked it for weight. This is the first bow I finished out for my new 29" draw.

It's tempered white oak, with a nice sinew back (thanks Phillip ;D ;D ;D). 65" overall, 1 3/4" wide (bit too narrow all things taken in consideration). About 85# at 29", it has under 2" of string follow after a hard shooting session, but returns to straight after a little while. It started with 1" pulled in reflex, and pulled in 1" more. I wrapped the limbs with serving material for camo, as the finely shredded sinew Phillip sent me was simply too nice to cover with cloth or skins :). The handle has an overlay of ash because the stave had been rather thin. Dished grip. I've been putting small leather shelves on my bows as of late. This bow shoots veyr hard and very straight. There is an absencse of handshock and over all, I'm pleased as punch with how this thing turned out :).

I sped the sinew up for this bow, but even though it helps hold it together and really does help hold profile (and seems to really zip an arrow) I don't thin I want to do it again. Some of the sinew dry up off the backing at spots- it just didn't look very nice afterwards. I also took the sinew only up to where the wrappings are, keeping it shorter- I like it. I intend to try this with a longer hickory bow later.

However, this bow had a natural deflexed portion, where the handle pushed the limb forward and the limb itself curved back, that I was unable to take out with heat and steam. After shooting the result is a few small frets on the inside of the limb at that spot. Should I worry about this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kegan

Re: Sinew backed white oak
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:54:29 am »
And a couple action pictures :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:58:12 am »
Looks like ya did a fine job Kegan, Tiller looks great. Only criticism I have is put a shirt on or get a tan ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:06:13 pm »
Thank you! Sorry about the lack of a shirt. Yesterday was wash day and everything is still soaked :-X.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:17:15 pm »
Forgot this one. I finished this bow off with five coats of spar urethance, and before finishing I coated the sinew with a thin coat of TB III after sanding. Seems to be pretty water resistanct at this point.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:16:50 pm »
That looks like a good'un, Kegan. Tiller looks good, overall really nice bow. Those chrysals don't look to be too bad, I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start getting worse. White oak is almost unbreakable, but you wouldn't want to be anywhere around that sucker if it let go at that draw weight.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:02:25 pm »
Of all the bows you have posted, I like this one the most. Nice job! Bookmarked for Self BOM fun, too ;D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:08:59 pm »
Cool bow Kegan. 85#  :o I have a hard time with 50  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:01:45 pm »
Very nice, Keegan. Too nice for chrysals. Did you make the belly of that bow round? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:16:55 pm »
Nice job Kegan. Your bows are getting much better. This one is certainly well done. Your tiller looks very good, and I'm surprised it chrysalled. I always worry about chrysalls. It's a sign that the wood is overstressed, and starting to fail. I think frets are kinda like an iceberg... most of the problem is unseen, and below the surface. I don't think it would help to reduce weight. Shoot it, have fun... if it fails, it fails. I'm thinking maybe the sinew was too much for the oak? I have zero experience with this combo, so it's just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:27:09 pm by adb »

Offline JustAim

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:24 pm »
Nice bow! Looks real good.

radius

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:06 pm »
I like it too, man, this one is great.  You must be a LOT stronger than you look!   >:D >:D >:D

AKAPK

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:50:05 am »
looks great, darn chrysals , I think thats why I like short bows with sinew, never had a  fret yet. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:53 am »
Very nice bow,great tiller and finish work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline smokeu

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 10:31:24 am »
Cool bow Kegan... Looks like a heavy hitter!

Mike
Longview, TEXAS