Author Topic: need some info on river cane  (Read 3361 times)

Offline recurve shooter

need some info on river cane
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:31:02 am »
i have been thinking about it for some time, and i think i have some isolated patches around here. i understand this much: half inch at fat end, about 3 feet long.

thats it. do they need to be cut at the nodes? and how skinny can the skinny end be? and whats the best way to cut it to keep it from splitting? so on and so forth. if i can figure it all out i may be able to help supplie some of your cane addictions. :D
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: need some info on river cane
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
I usually cut river cane, switch cane and hill cane that is about 3/8" at the base and keep it full length. I bundle the culms(canes) in bundles of about 15 and allow them to dry for a month or so. Never had problems with it splitting.  You don't have to cut it at a nmode. It is a good idea for the nock end but not necessary if you wrap the nock. Same with the point end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:58:24 pm »
thank you. i got to go hunting it today. im not sure which variaty it is, river, hill, or switch, but im pretty sure its river or switch.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:06:30 pm »
Switch cane usually can get up to 6' tall where river cane can get to 15' or more. Usually river cane has thinner walls, a larger diameter hole in the center and more pronounced nodes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Sleep Junkie

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:52 am »
Switch cane usually can get up to 6' tall where river cane can get to 15' or more. Usually river cane has thinner walls, a larger diameter hole in the center and more pronounced nodes.

So is the switch cane actually better for arrows?  I only ask because the owner of a local greenhouse, who I have recently become friends with, is going to see if she can get me in some hill, switch or river cane of the live variety so I can plant them around here for future shafts.  From what the USDA or Arbor day website said, they will all grow in here in Central Pennsylvania and I if I am buying them, I would like to get the best bang for the buck, so to speak.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:19:44 am »
Recurve, it would be either river cane or switch cane, the hill cane is restricted to the southern Appalachian area. SJ, All make great arrows, with the switch cane (A. tecta) probably being the better choice if you want it only for arrows. either one is good stuff, though. I would really doubt if you could get hill cane commercially.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:48:05 pm »
thanx guys. as soon as my cloths get done drying so i aint got to go running through the woods in boxers, i'll go get some pics.
lets just shoot it