Author Topic: Waxin your Bow  (Read 6478 times)

Offline TheWildCat

Waxin your Bow
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:34:56 pm »
Just finished a new bow yesterday. Followed the Build-a-Long by Gordon Fertlitsch. came out real nice, though I am not the Craftsman that Gordon is. My question is: What Wax do Y'all use on your bows to protect em???

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline tombo

Re: Waxin your Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:47:59 pm »
Awesome photo Wildcat! I can't answer your question but you'll get a lot of answers soon. i usually spray laquor my bows with matte finish. I may start waxing or oiling soon, however. I think it's better.
Tom

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:52:50 pm »
I have made only one bow but, I read in a book by jim hamm you can use vgtable shortening.  So thats what I did.  It doesnt change the color of the wood and protects it.  I used an all natural shortening. Hope this helps.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:47:17 pm »
Hey Wildcat, I use Tru-Oil on all of my bows. Almost any good wood finish will work for you. 
   I hope you realize we need more pics than just the tease shot. ;) How bout a full draw, braced and side profile on it unbraced. I like what I see so far but it ain't quite enough! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 11:55:14 pm »
                                                    If it aint Tru Oiled.......it's Greased.....period
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:23:07 am »
I use clear spraypaint to seal the bow and sinew, 4 coats with fine steel wool.  Then I will usually use minwax 4 coats. I will throw it in the heat box a few times.  Lately I've been using car wax as I'm out of minwax.  Works good.
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:43:29 am »
  Thanks fer the great comments. The bow has a finish on it. Per Gordon's Build-A -Long, I used a TrueOil finish. It has many layers on it. Its ready fer shootin. I wanted to protect the finish with some Wax. I am a hands on feller. There are time when I can't get out. I get my rifles and shotguns out and give em a good cleanin and apply a little wax to em, to give em a good luster and protect em. I would like to do the same to my bows. Wipe em down to get the dust offin of em and apply a little Wax as well.
   I knew the pic was gonna be a tease. Plannin on havin my buddy takes some full draw pics fer me this week. "Hazel" is 70" Tip to Top...68" Knock to Knock. She is 50# @ 28". Like Gordon's bow, she is a Hazelnut Limb Bow.

TheWildCat

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:48 am »
I use spray polyurethane and several coats of Johnsons paste wax.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:37:16 am »
Mighty fine looking bow, how about some more pics? Johnson's paste wax works good for over-the-finish protection.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:09:28 pm »
Its spar uretahne or tru-oil for me....and then coats of johnson paste wax thru the year!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

AKAPK

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 03:06:24 am »
How about Mineral Oil then wax ;)

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »
Thanks y'all. Will pick up some Johnsons paste Wax this week.  I just posted some pics of my bow under the subject New Bow.

TheWildCat

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:10:21 pm »
My last osage bow had 2 coats of Tru Oil and 3 coats of spar urethane. So far it has also had 2 coats of furniture wax. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 08:52:49 pm »
I have never waxed a Bow in my Life....I must be missing the Boat here....but if you seal a Bow with Spar Urethane....what is the point in Wax...to make it shiny??? Spar Urethane is used on Yachts and all things exposed to the Weather....I could see maybe Waxing a Bow that was just Oiled...and I would not do that either....I would put another coat of Grease on it...but I don't see the significance in waxing a Urethane......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »
Just a little extra insurance in a pouring rain to keep the wood from raising grain. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!