Author Topic: 4-in-1 Rasp?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: 4-in-1 Rasp?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 10:51:26 am »
My Top Tools are....a Ferriers Rasp....my Stanley Surform (with the flat cheese grater...not the round).....Nicholsons 49....and my Scraper that I bought at Pappy's from Shannon........ ;D..........out of all of the Bow Building Tools I have bought or acquired over the Years.....thee Least Used Tools are....my 4 in 1 Rasp....my Mystic Scraper...and my Stanley No.60 Spokeshave....although the Spokeshave does work nice on ELB's
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »
I started bowmaking with a 4 in 1 rasp. I didn't realize how bad a tool it was until I got my first Nicholson#50 . I followed the #50 with a #49 and wouldn't take a free 4 in 1 if someone tryed to give it to me.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 12:33:46 pm »
I like the farriers rasp. They really hog off the wood.

agreed...

#1 important tool:  VISE...some way, you've got to hold that sucker still, and a vise is the easiest, quickest, and surest way to do this.  I've spent this last week switching up two clamps on a stave...it's awkward and slow.  Just now picked up a vise off the classifieds, brand new, 3" swivel for $30...$75 new....and it is unused...look in your classified section and online....
I worked for 2 years without owning a vise. I don't think they are necessary at all. I built a bench with a vise and I still work without it.  ;D ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 01:06:31 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys. But he ordered one anyway :P. Oh well, at least it seems like it will be good for finer work :).

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 01:09:57 pm »
If he doesn't like it, send it to me I'll gladly take it ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 01:37:17 pm »
fair enough, justin...but i think a vise is a great tool...it's not versatile (it only does one thing) but it rocks at what it does!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 01:40:37 pm »
If Manny doesn't want it, I'll take it. LOL. I use mine for shaping nocks, removing knicks, shaping the handle, etc. I've used one on just about every bow I've ever made. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 12:01:05 am »
A 4 in 1 was my first bow building tool. I found it quite useful with the flat and rounded/course and fine sides. For a beginner I think it's fine. I got mine locally at the hardware store.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 09:34:28 am »
I also use one on most every bow I built ,some where along the process usually around the fads and handle.I got mine at Home Depo.I like a vice also.I have done it without one but like it much better with it.All in what you get use to. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good