Author Topic: performance  (Read 2922 times)

jb

performance
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:40:37 am »
hi JB here looking for more bowisdom...I finished a couple more bows that I am fairly pleased with...I have an old fibreglass laminate bow that was pretty good tecnology from about 30 years ago..it draws 45 at 28..these last few bows I made are similar..I would say these bows perform at about 70 to 75 percent of the laminate bow as far as arrow speed and distance are concerned...can I expect to achieve more with a traditional stick?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: performance
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:55:38 am »
hi JB here looking for more bowisdom...I finished a couple more bows that I am fairly pleased with...I have an old fibreglass laminate bow that was pretty good tecnology from about 30 years ago..it draws 45 at 28..these last few bows I made are similar..I would say these bows perform at about 70 to 75 percent of the laminate bow as far as arrow speed and distance are concerned...can I expect to achieve more with a traditional stick?

Absolutely
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »
I shoot an Osage bow I made some time ago, and I got suspected to have a layer of carbon hidden underneath the snakeskin backing.  ;D ;D ;D
I reduced tip mass on that bow twice and performance became noticeably better every time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:02:25 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »
YES
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:20:29 pm »
I've seen bows made by several people on here that shoot every bit as good or better than top-of-the-line glass bows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48:43 pm »
I've seen bows made by several people on here that shoot every bit as good or better than top-of-the-line glass bows.

youve never shot one of mine then   ;D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 04:56:46 pm »
Even an average selfbow is only slightly, if at all, slower than your average fiberglass laniated longbow these days. Unlike you, the companies don't spend a great deal of time trying to lighten the tips, achieve a perfect tiller, or design the bow to your draw.

For example: my friend was shooting his Beart Montanna with me a few months ago. We were eaching shooting arrows that were 9 gpp, and my selfbow was noticeably faster. Later I put a FF Plus string on his bow and it picked up some speed, but not much more than my bow still. It wasn't until I shot his bow that I realized it didn't shoot much better either (in terms of forgiveness or accuracy)! Sure suprised me ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:54 am »
For sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jb

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:09:37 am »
hey thanks a lot guys..i will try taking some wood off the tips.. none of my broken bows ever broke on the tips.. i will put a real string on there as i mickey moused that cause i was anxious to try it ..thanx again this site is right deadly jb

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:41:04 am »
even if you cant get a super fast bow right away, i promise you these suckers are MUCH quieter than glass bows, and in my oppinion that makes alot more of a difference in the woods.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:39:06 pm »
Darn skippy.  Some of my fastest bows are bamboo.  Ive got a bamboo osage bow that shots right with a glass, lam of equal weight and draw.