Author Topic: 4-in-1 Rasp?  (Read 7103 times)

Offline Kegan

4-in-1 Rasp?
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:29:35 pm »
I'm trying to get my friend started in bow building. He doesn't have alot tools, so he was looking at the 4-in-1 rasp in 3 Rivers. It looked sort of short to me, but anyone have any actual experience with it?

Offline sonny

Re: 4-in-1 Rasp?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:33:19 pm »
it's ok for some shaping work, ie handle, fades for instance, but I'd suggest purchasing a farrier's rasp before getting a 4-in-1.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 12:39:23 pm »
I have used a 4 in 1 rasp but not for bow building.  I wouldnt recommend buying one.  The rasp that works the best is a farriers rasp.  I have a couple of friends that give me their old ones from shoeing horses and they work very well. 
Tell Riley

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:45:45 pm »
Kegan it will work fine, not as good as a Nicholson #49 but works just the same.
Go to Ace, Home Depot etc they have them and no shipping charges.
I started with a 4in1 and a butcher knife for a scraper :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:57:14 pm »
I'd go with a Nicholson #49, but my problem with the 4 n 1 is if you use it a lot you have to duct tape one end to make a handle, otherwise you'll wear out your hand. Also it's not good to handle (bare handed) a rasp or file, it'll ruin em.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:58:29 pm »
get a sure form,alot easier on the arms than a regular rasp and you get the same effects
push hard removes lots,push light removes slight amount.
i use a cheap no name brand one, and i only go thru one blade after taking a hick stave down completely by hand
i do have a 4 in 1 and a cheaper #49,but always find myself reaching for the surform first for most work     jm2c
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Adam Keiper

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:51 pm »
Any hardware or home store should have them for around $8.  They're very cheap and a basic bowmaking tool.  Though I prefer my #49 and #50 Nicholson rasps, I use a 4:1 rasp (especially the file side) quiet a bit for shaping grips and tips.   Almost a decade ago, I used just a 4:1 rasp and a pocketknife to tiller my first osage bow from a roughed out blank that I traded for.

An ideal list of tools for a beginner, IMO, would include a vise, drawknife, hatchet, long handled (12") sureform rasp, 4:1 rasp, small chainsaw file, gooseneck and straight scraper (or substitute such as a pocketknife for same), and assorted sandpaper.  Of those, the vise is the biggest expense, but combined, you should be able to aquire everything for under $100.  The really budget minded can squeeze by with a hatchet, sureform, 4:1 rasp, and pocketknife to tackle everything from tree to finished bow.

radius

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »
agreed...

#1 important tool:  VISE...some way, you've got to hold that sucker still, and a vise is the easiest, quickest, and surest way to do this.  I've spent this last week switching up two clamps on a stave...it's awkward and slow.  Just now picked up a vise off the classifieds, brand new, 3" swivel for $30...$75 new....and it is unused...look in your classified section and online....

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:37:55 pm »
4 in 1 rasps suck, in my opinion. They're like any other compromise tool... not very good. The working surface is also too short. Buy a good full size rasp, like a Nicholson #49 or #50. It'll last a lifetime anyway.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »
Thanks everyone :)! I'm glad I can give him some actual first hand opinions of the tool.

So far I gave him the basic list: vice (he got one in a flea market two days after contacting me about bow building), hatchet, and rasp. He has a nice hatchet and he seems to have a pretty good idea of how to use it. He was looking in 3Rivers for string material and saw the 4-in-1 and wondered if that would work. Obviously not as well ;D.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 04:14:39 pm »
The 4 in 1 from 3Rivers is the one I use, I like it a lot for finishing work, of course it won't substitute for a bigger rasp for agressive wood removing, but for it's purpose it's perfect IMO  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 04:27:43 pm »
i agree..the 4 in 1 is handy for smaller work and touch ups...it's not a hatchet, drawknife, or big rasp...it cannot do what they can do in terms of wood removal...but in terms of delicate tuning, they cannot match the 4 in 1

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 04:42:40 pm »
I have had the 4 in 1 for a while and never really used it.  I always used my nicholson 49, but recently have started using especially for shapping handles and tips.
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 04:49:42 pm »
it's true, the 49 is awesome for shaping work, incredible tool

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 05:46:20 am »
I just started bow building myself.  I use a 4in1 rasp.would recommed gloves or taping the unused end if your hands are soft.  It will blister or take skin off if you are not carefull.  I am building the bow in the thread about draw length.  My tools I have used include an axe, 1 inch hand plane, 6 inch round file, and rip saw.  All tools hand me downs from when my grandfather passed away years ago.  The 4in1 is nice, however if you have to by I would invest in one of the long files and lots of sand paper.