Author Topic: Odin - Osage ELB (Warbow)  (Read 11947 times)

Adam Keiper

Re: Odin - Osage ELB (Warbow)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
Not that one George.  That's my portable setup.  It breaks down into 2 pieces with a few long lag bolts and wing nuts.  With the vise, it's a heavy bugger and doesn't move.  I keep it in the garage through summer, so it's handy to move outside; and set up in the basement over the winter.   I also have a similar, but permanent vise setup that is mounted atop a steel post.  That one is anchored to the concrete floor.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »
Thanks, Adam. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:30 pm »
Love that bow Adam ( minus the horn nocks ;D ) do you consider hunting it ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Aosda

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 12:34:47 am »
Nice job on the bow.  Like everyone else said, beautiful transition on the tips.  As for your quotation marks, they are actually a norse/germanic rune, so it actually fits with the name of the bow.  A certain group used alot of these symbols, re-associating the meanings to most people.

Sowilo: (S: The sun.) Success, goals achieved, honor. The life-force, health. A time when power will be available to you for positive changes in your life, victory, health, and success. Contact between the higher self and the unconscious. Wholeness, power, elemental force, sword of flame, cleansing fire. Sowilo Merkstave (Sowilo cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): False goals, bad counsel, false success, gullibility, loss of goals. Destruction, retribution, justice, casting down of vanity. Wrath of god.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline smokeu

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 01:31:18 am »
Sorry I feel silly for mentioning it... IIts why i removed my comment.

Rad Bow.. I hope it serves you well.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 10:40:07 am »
Awesome bow Adam :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline robby

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 11:44:03 am »
Adam, Now there is a bow after my own heart. You did a fine job, all the way around. I am curious about making the upper limb so much longer, not critical mind you, just curious. I have one very similar that bears the Runic symbol of "othel", both #85, both maclura pomifera, both bear nordid appellations, Hmmmm, kinfolk, maybe. Great pictures, thanks.
Robby

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
Whew - Montana Elk tremble when you crank this magnum back. We'll look at it again for July Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Loki

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »
The Angles,Saxon,Jutes of England called him Woden.
Wednesday is Wodens day  >:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wednesday
Durham,England

Adam Keiper

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:57 pm »
Cool guys, thanks for the runic info.  Maybe I can claim those squigglies have meaning afterall.   ;)  Robby, I make nearly all my bows with longer upper limbs.  I like to have the drawing point of the string roughly balanced with the geometric center of the bow.  Limb set seems more uniform and the bow carries nicely through the woods.  The longer upper vs. equal limb debate will probably rage on for centuries, though. 

I went stump shooting with "Odin" this morning.  My bows normally won't accomodate a long draw.  My buddy pulls 29" and is left handed.  He wanted to try it.  "Man, that's stout", he said.  "It really sends them!"

Adam Keiper

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 07:24:45 pm »
He loned me one of his long arrows as we trekked through the woods.   I alternated between a normal draw and a long draw.  It was nice to use his arrow and not worry that I might skewer my bow hand.  I'll need to make some long arrows to fit this bow. 

There's log shelter in these stumping grounds that someone has been maintaining for years.  My son and I found it when he was four.  I whipped up a story at the time about how this was the home of the last wild indian, whose name is Okueechi.  Every time we go back to stump shoot, we always check out "Okueechi's wigwam".  My son wasn't with us on this trip, but when he is, I always have to build on that indian story.  Some day I'll have to write a book on the Adventures of Okueechi. 

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »
Very nice Adam! if you're comming to Denton this year, you'll have to bring that with you so i can see it! :D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:59 pm »
Hey ADAM I really like your bowow.... I really enjoy making longbows also, only made one out of osage tho, most of mine are made ot of hickory, some are backed but some aren't. Keep scrapeing.... Denny

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 10:38:53 pm »
  Really nice bow as usual, Adam. That last full draw picture sure looks better than the first one. Looks like you got that peach seed out. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?