Author Topic: My boo backed hick. lifted a splinter!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Easternarcher

My boo backed hick. lifted a splinter!
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:25 pm »
I'm not done tillering yet but stopped when I noticed a splinter lifting during short-draw shooting in.
It's about 1 inch long but only 1/8" wide right down the center of the backing just south of one of the nodes over the inner working section of upper limb. I cleaned it and ran some thin superglue under it. I clamped it down over night. looks OK, but needs a little cleanup.

Question is...should I wrap the area in artificial sinew set in superglue as insurance or will it be OK as is.
This bow likely won't get much use as it's for my niece and she doesn't shoot, but it will likely remain strung on her wall. Well, she wanted a recurve so I'm game.
Any thoughts?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: My boo backed hick. lifted a splinter!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »
 Super- glue is some amazing stuff. It will probally be okay without the wrap. But to be on the safe side if she is going to shoot in a little, I'd wrap it. Especially if it is going to stay strung.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:48:26 am »
That's what I kinda thought too Mullet.  MAybe I can do some decorative stuff in the colours she likes too.
Thanks

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:46:24 am »
I would wrap it for sure. That happened to me , I glued it, it was ok for a while , then lifted again later!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline clintw864

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:31:24 am »
I have one that has a similar place I was concerned with. Superglued then after that set I dyed two pieces of rawhide an orange color I like, applied hide glue, stretched it tight around the bow while it was wet and stitched it in place. Put the other piece the same distance on the other limb. Dried nice and tight.  Looks good and has held up well to shooting.  Clintw864
Clint Wilson