Author Topic: locust  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Hopefullbowyer

locust
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:41:40 pm »
Thinking about going to my grandmothers woodlands and cutting down some locust trees for stave's.  She has a large plot planted back just after the great depression as part of the community conservation corps.  After reading the other thread about locust not sure how to handle the wood after it is down.  What length should I cut the logs?  Do I split logs or let them dry a hole logs? Since checking might be a problem. Leave bark on or off? So many decisions any advice would be helpfull.

coyote pup

Re: locust
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:17:25 pm »
I assume you mean Black Locust? Treat it like Osage only BL likes to check easier. I cut mine and leave bark on, store to dry at least 6 months. Then, I split out my staves, shave the bark off, seal the ends and either grease or seal the back (whitewood) and let dry for another 3-6 months that way. I then slowly begin to work the stave, and keep my eye on it for tendancy to check. By this time you should begin to see if it is a cranky stave or not. I like to lightly grease the ends and back and keep them that way as I work it down. I don't like to rush my BL and don't recommend it, but others may have advice on how to rush it and my have had success in doing so.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
I would at least quarter the log immediantly and leave the bark on for awhile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:45:06 pm »
If I was to quarter the log would that not be the same as not sealing the ends.  Also if I cut the staves extra long say 8ft, would that leave enough wood  to avoid the end checking by cuttung the ends off when it is time to make a stave.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »
Go ahead and seal the ends, definitely. But you want some place for moisture to start escaping. If you leave the log whole,
A: It will take years to dry, and
B: The outside will dry faster than the inside, and it will crack and split all over. Best to control where it splits yourself. I always split logs immediately. Either leave the bark on, or take the bark and sapwood off and seal the back.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:02:23 pm »
how 'bout spraying insecticide on 'em to keep the bugs away ??
not sure if it's necessary with locust................
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:36 pm »
Cut the log in 6 foot sections or a little less. Seal it right away. I mean right away. I use polyacrylic. Split into staves. I leave the bark on and let it dry. I don't do insecticides but some do. Remember BL works best with a heartwood back.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!