Author Topic: N-to-N Length for 66-1/4" length string?  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
N-to-N Length for 66-1/4" length string?
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:11:35 pm »
Howdy Group,

Again, I'm trying to stumble through another bow build.  This time, the problem is getting the correct N-to-N length for my 66-1/4" long string.

I figured on adding 4 inches to the string length, but that turned out to be (roughly) an eight or nine inches brace hight. 

I then went ahead and moved the nock groves in about 1/4" from both ends - still too much brace hight.

Am I doing something really wrong...  like trying to make sense of all this?

Confused,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline John K

Re: N-to-N Length for 66-1/4" length string?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:35:37 pm »
I take it you'r making you'r own strings ? Just build one with only one loop, on the other end you can tie a bowyers knot or timber hitch, this way you can adjust the length of you'r string. It works for me.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:51:29 pm »
Since i find it easier to make a flemish twist string than to make a bow, I think I would try making another string versus trying to modify my bow to fit the string.   Just my two cents.    Oh and a good rule of thumb I found out was string length for a longbow roughly two inches shorter than the nock to nock length of the bow.  You can twist/untwist the string to accomodate brace height.    Good luck!!!!    -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »
 Are you making the strings and then building the bow to fit? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:02 pm »
first make the bow then get a string to fit. when you make a bow you really never know what it will be n-t-n. you may hit lower weight than you want and need to cut some off to raise the weight. j.m.o
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:36 pm »
I like the string to be 2 1/2-3 inches shorter than the bow. Make it 2 then add a little twist if necessary to get the correct brace height.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »
I wouldn't worry to much, I use 68" strings on 64" bows  :D :D  with flemish strings you can play a lot with length....actually just yesterday I put a 68" B-50 on a 58" bow I keep for teaching guys to shoot  ;D ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Canoe

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:21:15 pm »
Howdy Group,

Well, thanks guys, I'm not making my own string(s).

I have been under the impression that in order to buy the correct string (by Length), one has to take the bow length and subtract four inches. 
Well, I had this bow string lying around, so I thought I could do some reverse engineering by add four inches to the string length to get my bow length.  (This is why I'm not an engineer.)

So, with that, what do you think my N-to-N length should be?  Or, should I just keep shooting in the dark by cutting shorter and shorter nocks lengths until I hit it?

Thanks for your help guidance,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28:17 pm »
i go two inches on my 66" bows.  I put a 64"  string on them and they turn out with a brace height of 5 1/2 inches. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Canoe

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 07:30:28 pm »
Howdy again,

Thanks Justin!  
So, the magic number is 2-1/2 to 3 inches between bow length and string length - NOT the four inches I was going with.

I'll be moving forward on this tomorrow.

Many thanks,
Canoe

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 08:22:39 pm »
Like I said, go with 2 inches and you can twist the string to shorten it later if needed. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:54:11 pm »
You could have probably untwisted your string to fit the bow, saving you from piking  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:05:20 pm »
I think you're going about it backwards. Build a bow, and then either make or buy a string to fit. It's kinda like buildind a picture frame, and then trying to take a picture to fit.

Go to youtube, and do a search for "string video 028" and michbowguy has an excellent tutorial on making Flemish strings. It really is quite easy, and way cheaper than buying them.

Offline Canoe

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 11:46:13 am »
Howdy Group,

Yes Justin, I'll go with 2 inches shorter (longer on my bow), and that sounds like it'll work just fine.

ABD, I'll be looking into building my own strings soon.  Thanks for the note on YouTube for Flemish String Making.   And, "Going about it backward," is, apparently, my speciallity.

Thanks guys  -  and I'm heading out now to pike away.

Canoe

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »
If you want to make a string without a jig for your  longbow , which I presume yours is , take the nock to nock measurement(66 1/4")  minus 3" which is 63 1/4 " then add 16" which is 79 1/4" and thats the length for your strands you will need for your bow string . 8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin