Author Topic: (Warning Pic Intensive) Can anyone help to identify these plants?  (Read 4472 times)

Sleep Junkie

It seems that ever since I have become interested in primitive archery, I find myself scanning the sides of highways, roads, people's yards, etc. for arrow shaft material.  This isn't always a good thing because I get car sick and if there is one way to bring it on, it is trying to look at a stationary object for to long while moving.  Hehe  But back to the topic at hand.  Recently, I have come across a few plants that I think could be useful for making arrow shafts but I need some help identifying them.  Seeing as how you guys were so helpful last time, I figured I would ask your opinions.  Oh and if it helps, I live in Central Pennsylvania. 

1.  These first three pics are of a bamboo that is growing in the area.  The walls of the bamboo is pretty dense so I believe it would be strong enough, but I am not sure if it will work because it is not completely round.  Let me explain.  At every node where stems grow out, it is flat until you get to the next node.  Now at this next node, the stems grow out from the other side and now the flat spot moves to that spot.  In other words, the flat spot switches back and forth up the length of the bamboo.  I don't know if this is normal or not.  Anyway, here are the pics.

2.  These next two pics are of a plant that I found growing along the road not to far from my home.  I think I have narrowed it down to either Honeysuckle, Chokecherry or Chokeberry.  What do you all think?  I have heard that Chokecherry and Honeysuckle can be used to make arrows, but as I have said, I am green to the whole primitive archery scene so I don't know if this type that was being talked about.  It has some very straight shoots with very few offshoots.

3.  The last two pics are of a bush that I found growing along the creek.  It also has some very straight shoots with very few offshoots.  However, I was worried that it might be a type of willow.  I have identified black willow, but this stuff is different somehow.  The black willow seemed more tree like, while this stuff is shrub or bush like. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sleep Junkie

Re: (Warning Pic Intensive) Can anyone help to identify these plants?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:22:39 am »
Here is the one pic that wouldn't fit on the last post.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:41:47 am »
1: Chinese golden bamboo (Phyllostchys aurea.) It'll make arrows, but it's really hard to find good round, small diameter shoots of it. If you can pick out some good shoots, they'll make good arrows. The better shoots are usually right in the very middle of the patch, use the part right above the ground before you get many branches on it.

2: One of the Asian bush honeysuckles, probably Lonicera maackii. Makes really good arrows, and is invasive-so cut it all.

3: Willow. Hard to tell you the species from the photos, but probably either a cut-off and resprouted black willow, or possibly silky willow. Will make arrows, but really not a great material.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:18 pm »
What Hillbilly said!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:22:12 pm »
wow you people know your stuff.
lets just shoot it

Sleep Junkie

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »
I meant to write and thank you guys for the quick answers, but it slipped my mind for awhile.  I think I am going to pass on the bamboo, seeing as how it might be difficult to work with.  I will keep cutting the Honeysuckle and Multiflora rose that grows around here.  Those two shaft materials, coupled with the massive amounts of Goldenrod and Horseweed that are growing on the pipeline behind my house, should keep me in shafts for quite awhile.  I did go to the local greenhouse the other day though and I bought a Viburnum Dentatum or Southern Arrow wood plant.  Maggie, the greenhouse owner, is also supposed to be getting me some River or Switch cane and some Red Osier Dogwood plants as soon as she can.  From what I have seen on the posts, these makes some damn fine arrow shafts in a couple year or three.  I figure that if I get them and keep up with the pruning, they should stay very straight.  Plus it will be nice to have them right here close to home. 

Lately, I have been reading a bit about basket weaving and from what I understand, willow is perfect for this.  I think I am going to go harvest some of those willow shoots in the pic I posted and attempt to make an arrow quiver, like one I saw here on the PA website.  I am not sure who made it but it looked really nice.  Hehe Little did I know that when I started getting into this primitive archery stuff that it would begin to take up so much time!  That's okay though, because you know what they say, "idle hands are the devils tools" and in my case, that couldn't be more true.