Author Topic: Chrysals  (Read 6118 times)

AKAPK

Re: Chrysals
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »
Unlike Ryan I like Hickory and have only had one do that,I will say I do overbuild mine and always tiller
to just over the draw length of who is going to shoot it.As for my own bows I don't let anyone shoot them if there draw is much longer, and they aren't aware of how to use a selfbow.That
goes for any wood as far as I am concerned. :)
   Pappy
I know what ya mean I am having that prob with Hickory, I'm pretty sure it's because I don't let it adjust to California Climate up her its dry but cool.
I just seen A Hickory bow I made back in 2007 at the Pawn shop someone resold and it had no chrysals but it had about 2" set. I like the Osage and Lemon wood and Yew Personally But Yew Cost to much,Phillip

AKAPK

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 09:46:32 pm »
Unlike Ryan I like Hickory and have only had one do that,I will say I do overbuild mine and always tiller
to just over the draw length of who is going to shoot it.As for my own bows I don't let anyone shoot them if there draw is much longer, and they aren't aware of how to use a selfbow.That
goes for any wood as far as I am concerned. :)
   Pappy
Exactly, Don't touch My Bow Unless I give it to ya :)

AKAPK

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 09:51:45 pm »
My short Bows I never Have Chrysal Issues, I love them things Some people around here think there Youth Bows untill I show them The Arrow through the 1/2 plywood,serprizingly its the Bone points that go through ???off subject :) any way I don't have any more wood for Bows and I need to spark a deal with someone. So I can make A real West coast reproduction SO I guess I need Yew, I know. 50" by 2" ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:56:19 pm by AKAPK »

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 04:26:21 pm »
I have a lot of bowhunting students and relatives to "convert"  ....I like to have a SHORT  arrow or 2 on hand if anyone wants to try shootin' my bow- I draw 27, tiller to 28, but they only get to shoot it at 26!  ;)
 I did Chrysal my second osage by overdrawing it in my own convert days.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

AKAPK

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:16 am »
I think it was hickory from Michigan not sure what type. I should let any wood I get from the north east set for a few months before I start makin bow with it.
Also I notice that Some People have a habit of holding draw with a wood bow for more than 2 seconds tend to have more limb damage tha'ts why i now try to inform  every one that gets one of my bows to loose it soon as they reach draw and not to exceed the draw length written on the Bow.

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:47 am »
My experience with hicory has been fair at best. It likes to take set, draw moisture, and chrysals easily. I would much rather spend my time with osage. If hicory is what you have to make bows with I recomend heat treating the belly and to overbuild, it helps with the set issue and chrysals. Phill my osage holmie is just as good as the day I made it three years ago and has had thousands of arrows thru it and flight shot a lot at long draw lengths. Sorry your holmies are sick, really liked them.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

AKAPK

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 04:55:35 pm »
I need to get more Osage to make a holmgaard never had any issues with Osage yet.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:01 pm »
I have had my share of the z cracks too. Most of them too dry of logust and propeller twist hickory. when i heat the twist out of the wood I found it weaken the cells and on the belly side it shows up. also had a kids slippery elm bow do it to me also . I am not convinced, its the bowyers fault I think its the flaw within the wood. I even had iron wood do it to me once. I repaired it and still shoot it once and a while.

AKAPK

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 01:47:27 pm »
I guess to shoot them chrysal Bows Once in a while would be ok just be gentle with the Bow :)