Author Topic: starting kids out  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Blacktail

starting kids out
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:47:10 pm »
now my son is 7 and he has been trying his hand at knapping...i love it but then i dont...i have a very hard time trying to explane platforms,hings and stuff like that to a 7yr old...i dont want him to quite...but all i see is my obsidian pile turning into gavel....SO,should i just let him keep banging away or maybe draw him pics of what i am talking about...has any one come across this learning problem...thanks john

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: starting kids out
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:25 am »
teach Him the Basics of percussion ....but mainly pressure flaking ...by making some Points from some of your Debitage Pile...let Him learn on what others may consider too small....He will learn the Basics first before He starts to eat up Dads Rock Pile then!! JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:48:15 am »
That is what I do for my kids and my wife
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:36:39 am »
I taught knapping at a summer camp last year for kids from ages 7 to 17. One of the best things you can do is start with some drawings of the principles you are trying to get across, so the process can be visualized before anybody starts breaking rock.  Use a sharpie or some chalk to mark the areas you intend to remove on the rock as you demonstrate, so they can see the proper method, then let them start on chips like El Destructo said. Make sure you have some good gloves and safety glasses for them. You know how long it took you to develop knapping skills as an adult, kids take much longer to learn because the lack strength and dexterity.

Good for you for starting them out early, it will give them a good foundation and they'll have a head start on everybody else their age.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:06 am »
The next time you are at the Buttes, take a couple of buckets and some gloves and show him how to select and gather his own material.  Its really more important to teach how to use the tools, safety, and spall selection than the finer aspects of platforms, etc.  The rewards will be many down the road to have a son that does what you do dad!  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:36:56 am »
get him some gloves and slabs ?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »
WOW,there is some great ideas here...i might have to try them all just to see what he understands....any how. thanks  so much for the help.. john