Author Topic: Black Walnut Selfbow  (Read 11795 times)

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
Re: Black Walnut Selfbow
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »
It is beautiful fo sho!
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline sulphur

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:18:09 pm »
very nicely crafted bow!!  where do you get your staves??  doesn't like there is a tree for miles & miles. ;D ;D 

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 03:08:12 am »
Ohio John, I am sure it is black walnut the pictures kind of messed with the color it is much darker especially on the belly. Sulphur, I got this stave and many more from Justin Snyder, Thanks again Justin! And thanks to everyone else for your comments.
SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 07:20:26 am »
Ohio John, walnut sapwood looks like any other whitewood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:34 am »
Hillbilly, you have seen this piece of wood before along with everyone else who was at the Tennessee Classic when I was. It came from Calendargirl's house in Nashville.  ;)

Sulphur, there aren't any trees around here, that is why I brought this wood back from Tennessee.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 12:32:38 pm »
Great job justin! I like your tips! You might wanna round off those edges though... Just kidding! haha Can't wait to see it in person
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »
Right on I just was seeing that as a piece of American Walnut. I haven't seen any Black Walnut sapwood in probably 15 yrs or better. Thats what
I love about this messageboard.... everything comes around for us all to learn. Thanks guys!
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 06:57:23 pm »
There is no sapwood on this bow it is all heartwood, I split the sapwood off of it. The back of this bow is from just under the sapwood.
SW Utah

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 07:40:56 pm »
I was just repeating what was said earlier in the post about the lighter nature of the wood in your photo being because of the presence of sapwood. My only comment earlier was that by the color of the bow in each of the photos except the first one I would have assumed it to be american walnut rather than black walnut. It is definitely a beautiful piece of work you have done regardless of the tree's species.

Adam Keiper

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 08:47:14 pm »
Oooo, Sweet tiller on that bow. 

Rich Saffold

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 08:48:04 pm »
JMilbrandt,

Your bow looks great !, and the only thing which I would try which might make you like it better would be to raise the brace height a bit. I love using black walnut, especially the dense heartwood sections. I had a similar bow to yours for nearly ten years.

Rich

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 12:02:00 am »
I know the brace is low I haven't made a string for that bow yet, the string thats on it is for a much longer bow I made a while back that didn't turn out very good. I was hoping no one would notice. ::) ;D
SW Utah