Author Topic: ?Question?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Hoodoo

?Question?
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:35:39 pm »
So, I was up in the hills this weekend and found some very striaght mountain maple. I have them marked on my gps and plan to go up cut them. they are good for one bow a peice( around 3'' in diameter). When i cut them i plan to seal the ends as soon as they fall. what should i do from here? When(if at all) should i remove the bark? and so on............ I just dont want them to check as they dry
 any advice helps, thanks

Trey

Offline tombo

Re: ?Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:54:09 pm »
Trey- I don't know a thing about the trees in your part of the country, but in general, yes, seal the ends and remove the bark. Most trees I deal with peel much easier when they're green. If you're in a real dry climate, you may want to lightly seal the bare log or stave as well. Good luck!
Tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »
I'm not familiar with mountain maple but , if possible cut the "poles" extra long and don't seal the ends. They will check on the ends but the moisture needs a place to escape and you can cut the checked ends off. If you seal the ends and leave the bark on the moisture is sealed inside. If you seal the ends but peel the bark the moisture will leave along the pole and checking will occur. If you can split each pole in half, seal the ends but leave the bark on. The moisture will escape through the belly.
  I know Gordon, OldBow, and a few other guys builds bows from similar materials and live in similar climates so they may have the solution for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 07:29:27 pm »
In my experience mountain maple dries very good. Just seal the ends and remove the bark, it hardly ever checks even without the ends sealed.
SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:47:28 pm »
The only staves I don't de-bark to dry are yew.