Author Topic: ERC  (Read 2960 times)

Offline venisonburger

ERC
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:14:16 am »
Well, I roughed out an ERC bow, currently it's 2in wide for most of the length, nocks are around 1/2 inch right now it's 62in long, bend through the handle, I took the sapwood down to a thin 16th of an inch, rounded the belly and plan on putting rawhide on when I am done getting the deflex out and some reflex in. I guess my question is, should I leave the thin layer of sapwood on or just remove it completely, there are already spots where the heartwood is coming through. It wasn't a good candidate for leaving unbacked since the sapwood had worms burrowed into it. I'm shooting for 45 to 50 pounds.
this is my first attempt at ERC so any info would be appreciated
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:49:17 am »
If you are going to back with rawhide it doesn't matter whether it has sapwood on it or not. ERC sapwood by itself makes a good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:20:28 am »
I would leave the sap wood. It is a personal preference. I think it makes a nice contrast in color and the sap wood is beter in compression. Would love to see pics
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:17:00 am »
TJ, you mean the sapwood is better in tension? ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:39:30 am »
I like the idea of the contrast in color between the sapwood and hardwood also. I got some cow rawhide from someone awhile back so I'm going to use that. What about nocks, I think I'm going to try tied on wedge nocks, I saw that somewhere and I liked the looks. Maybe deer antler.
VB

Offline Marvin Campbell

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:47:43 am »
Can't wait to see some pix

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 10:48:42 am »
You will probably want to thin the cow rawhide before gluing it down. Cow rawhide it too thick, IMO, to use as a backing at its normal thickness. It will add unwanted physical weight to the limbs and tips.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:26:15 am »
OOps my mistake. Too early in the morning and no caffiene or nicotine yet. Thanks for the correction Pat.  ;D
Deer rawhide is what I usually use on my cedar bows. If I was going to make a higher poudage bow I would use a tip overlay of some sort. Cedar is soft and the string might damage the wood. The cedar bows I have made so far have all been in the 35 to 45 lb range. I have not had one survive that was over that range. My next one will be a long bow stlye. 70inches long with a rounded belly.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 12:40:58 pm »
I made this warbow out of a very nice piece of ERC a few years ago.  The sapwood was pretty thick so I took it down a few rings but was left unbacked.  The bow pulled about 120# @ 32". The drawn picture was all I could pull it back to

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »
Hey Pat, would sinew be a better choice? At 62in I probably wouldn't gain anything except protection for the back which is why I would use the rawhide.
If I use the rawhide how would you thin it?
I got the deflex out now I have to correct some crookedness.
Then I'll be ready for backing
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 11:21:47 pm »
At 62" it ought to be quick enough. Rawhide is simpler and gives good protection. I have never sinewed an ERC bow. I do have a 49" ERC half heart/half sap that I plan to sinew.  I think you can use a belt sander to thin the rawhide. I always use deer rawhide because it is thin and strong.