Author Topic: New S.Tex Elm primitive  (Read 5126 times)

Aosda

Re: New S.Tex Elm primitive
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:02 pm »
Here ya go Tombow.
Each pic is a coat.  Brushed on and let to stand for a few minutes before blotting off.  In the last pic the Red Oak is missing because I decided to soak it in the coffee.  The order is Maple, Hickory, Red Oak, and Cherry.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tombow

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 10:43:35 am »
Yes, that same yellowish tint. I think I'm not fond of that. The tobbacco staining sounds interesting. I'll start saving up my cigar butts and soak a bunch in water. Thanks,
Tom

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 07:33:49 pm »
That's a nice lookin' bow Tombow.I use Elm myself. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 11:50:25 am »
Good looking bow!
I'll tell you what I use more than anything to stain, and it's free. Every fall I gather a few 5 gallon buckets of walnuts only half full. I place another bucket inside to kind of seal it all in. after a few weeks, they start to rot and break down and the hulls get really dark and turn into a nasty goop. Use rubber gloves to smear it on and then wipe most of it off. It doesn't soak in like I would like it to, but I think if I added some alcohol it might help it too. the color is great, if you like dark wood, and the little granules in the stuff make almost like a sanding sealer and you can get a real slick smooth finish. after I get it where I want I use either spray lacquer or tru-oil to finish it. 
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline tombo

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:22:57 pm »
Great idea. I'm trying to make a stain from the acacia "Huisache" bark. Supposedly the indians used the bark as a dye...reddish brown. I just haven't gotten it concentrated enough yet.
Tom

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 02:50:48 pm »
love how the bow turned out tombow. cant say i can see the yellow tint from the comp, but electronics are funny about showing "true" hues. great looking bow, enjoy the addiction.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 12:27:21 pm »
Great tiller on this one. I'll bet its fun to shoot. We'll look at it in a couple of weeks for July Self BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline sulphur

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:48 pm »
cedar elm??  is that the tree with the blown up bark all over the braches????

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:05 pm »
Came out good. My only concern is she seems to be bending quite a bit in the handle area which is fine unless you are getting excessive hand shock. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tombo

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:01 am »
Yes Jawge, she has some bend in the handle since I mis cut the riser before I found that there was a chunk torn in that area when I split the stave. This cedar Elm tends to tear chunks out of itself when you split it if you're not too careful.
sulfur, I guess you could say the bark is blown up sometimes in the branches. I think that's where it gets the name "cedar" elm. The bark is a bit loose amnd flaky on the outside but horrible to strip down to the sap wood. You just gotta scrape it ar some point. Cedar Elm is also known as Texas Elm down here, I guess the most common Elm. American Elm doesn't grow this far south. Tom