Author Topic: Getting a handle on it  (Read 4392 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Getting a handle on it
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:57 pm »
I was recently at the Fort Union Living History event at the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers.  I was scraping away on a bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) stave while the tourists wandered through camp.  I happened to be distracted a bit by a certain lovely Canadian gal, who shall remain nameless, and I ended up taking waaaay too much off the width of a handle. 

The handle is now about 5/8ths of an inch wide and a little over an inch deep.  There is nowhere near enough material to prevent flex in the handle and due to the wonderful character of this stave I really don't want to lose this fight.  I have thought about building up the back and sides of the handle with sinew, or even glueing on thin layers of osage. 

I may be getting old, but I am still young enough to learn new mistakes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Getting a handle on it
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:13:24 pm »
You could always wrap it with Rawhide Strips to give it more Stability and Strength....or you could cut it in half and build it up and make a Take Down Bow from it....I Myself would glue two strips on the Sides....shape the Handle the way you would like it to be....then wrap it with nice wet Rawhide Strips about 3/4" wide...and let it all dry and shrink up together....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

coyote pup

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:43:00 pm »
My choice would be to do what you mentioned, and sinew the back and sides of the handle, and then do like Destructo just said and wrap rawhide on the outside for the actual handle.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »
Dang women!
VB

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:04:11 pm »
Yep women have been a distraction to me since I can recall.  ::) Oh yeah, all good advise from the guys above.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:13:09 pm by Dano »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:06:25 pm »
I'd glue one some wood. At least an inch of wood is my guess. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:51 pm »
I Myself would glue two strips on the Sides....shape the Handle the way you would like it to be....then wrap it with nice wet Rawhide Strips about 3/4" wide...and let it all dry and shrink up together....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:08:25 pm »
I glue wood on where ever it is needed to fill a handle out.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 02:43:38 am »
I learn something new everyday reading these posts.  I love the side view of the added wood.  AND I never thought of putting a guide line down the limb to aid in sanding down the rounded corner.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 08:41:05 pm »
Ok, seems like I will be building up the side of the handle with some osage or other really strong wood.  Gonna be a bearcat of a job since neither side is flat.  Whadya think?  Flatten the sides out to get a good tight glue bond or spend lotsa time carving the add-ons to match the curves?

And last question, what would you chose for glue?  I assume something that has really good gap filling capability.  ( I really hope you don't say Urac because I have been fighting a losing battle with the stuff on several projects)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

coyote pup

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 12:20:52 pm »
I would sand flat and do it with any of the Tightbonds, but II or III would be best. Good choice, not so primitive but all the  reassurance and will look nice!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 12:30:34 pm »
How heavy is the bow,I don't make the handles much bigger than that and don't have a problem with flexing,of course most are in the low 50's. :) and I have a small hand and like a small grip.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:17 pm »
Did ya get her number eh ;)  ;D Sure hope so ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:22:41 pm »
it isn't a guide line, it if the glue joint where I added a piece of wood that ran from one fade to the other. Here is what the add-ons looked like before I shaped the handle.

I started with something like this, just to see if I could make a bow out of it. Nice limbs but not enough wood for a handle.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »
Here is the same bow many years later. A guy in Chattanooga found it in an archery shop and sent me this picture to see if I had made the bow.