Main Discussion Area > Arrows

bamboo heads on 4-footed shafts

<< < (3/7) > >>

Pappy:
Dustybaer what do the weigh?
   Pappy

Coo-wah-chobee:
  Marius--Dont know about oven-never did it-too risky with wife. Tempered mine with a mapp gas torch or propane-some used a campfire. I got them slowly to a very slightly burned color over a long time--VERY SLIGHTLY BURNED--just some surface ash that can be sanded off easily--made them hard as h###.............bob

Dustybaer:
pappy, sorry i did not weigh them before i mounted them.  i'm making another one as we speak and i'll make sure i weigh it first.  since i make them using nothing but sandpaper, it takes me a while to finish one ;D

thanks bob, that's why i was asking about alternatives.  i thought about my heat gun too, but i can't find the friggin' thing ;D  maybe i should join the "big project" thread and clean up my basement.

edit: pappy, i just weighed the arrows and they are 27 to 28 grams (416 to 432 grains)

DBernier:
Pappy/Dusty, in another thread I showed a cane arrow with a bamboo head I did. It was light, about 90 grains. To up the weight I inserted somw 1/32 dia solder into the hollow portion of the shaft behind the head. This brought the total weight of the 31 inch overall length arrow to 495 grains. You can vary this weight by the length of the solder pieces you put in the end of the shaft to compensate for cane dia, weight etc. I used CA on the edge of the head and sanded it to a fairly good edge. As indicated I think it only good for small game. I do think it would take a deer with a well placed shot in a vital organ.

Dick Bernier

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dustybaer:
dick, you know it's your fault that i ever started with bamboo heads.  ;D   i did some searches with google but could hardly find any images, so i decided to just try and make some myself.  but it all started with this very head you just showed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version