Author Topic: Viking (Scandinavian ) bows and archery...help !  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Chad Bower

• ~Odins' wisdom ,Thors' strength , Freyas' love.~
Viking (Scandinavian ) bows and archery...help !
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:46:48 am »
I loved the PA article ! Can anyone / does anyone build this style or have any ideas where to go next ? Thanks in advance !
~ 45,000 years ago the bow was invented. The bow is the history of mankind.~

Don't just exsist  , live , everyday to the fullest.

Chad "Wolf Among Dogs" Bower

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Viking (Scandinavian ) bows and archery...help !
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:54:12 am »
We have a few Scandinavian members. You might check the members roster for their contact info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

sami bow

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:57 am »
Besides the bows pictured in the article, I would think, with their (Vikings) exstensive travel, they would have used many other bow types. And there is the possibility of trading for different material, or just picking up others bows from the battlefield.

There is reference in the sagas to Lapp or Sami bows, which are the two wood type such as Ragnar Insulander builds and writes of.

I am of Finnish and Sami descent so I am also interested in norse archery.

Some of the scandinavians had access to rather good wood for shipbuilding, so I would imagine Oak flatbows would also have been used. Lots of birch up there too, but not so good in compression, hence the two wood bow with a belly of conifer compression wood.

Perhaps a Swede or Norweigan can fill you in on available wood species.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:36:59 am »
My understanding is that Viking(nordic)bows in western Europe were similar to english longbows but without the horn nocks.  Poundage ranged from 40-60#.  I have read that Swedish Vikings(Rus)sometimes adopted the eurasian style horsebow from some of the tribes they contacted(Bulghars, Khazars, Pechenegs, etc...)  I have found some interesting information on the possible use of horsebows by Rus Vikings by searching for information on Birka, which was a nordic trading town on the Baltic coast.  For types of bows used by Vikings in western Europe check out the Regia Anglorum website.  Good Luck.

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:24 am »
Viking bows were way heavier than 40 - 60#. Replicas of the Hedeby bows pull  80 - 100 lbs., and the Ballinderry Viking bow from Ireland must've reached poundages somewhere in the 100's based on it's "typical Mary Rose bow" dimensions. Early Iron Age bows from Denmark seem to have been substantially lighter, as were the arrowheads of the time, both more in line with "typical hunting gear" of the present day. Iron Age bows from the North are of yew, with the exception of single juniper bows from Greenland, Sweden and Estonia. Living inside a millennia-long tradition of yew bows, I'd venture to guess the guys were quite inflexible in their selfbow material views. There are at least ten native woods in Scandinavia Iron Age bowyers could've used, but we have no evidence of oak, ash, elm, maple, elder, rowan, bird cherry, hazel, buckthorn or apple bows. Instead, loads of yew, with a couple juniper and the following:

Sagas do mention "two-wood" bows, and the compression pine belly slats from Early Medieval Norwegian cities confirm that the Vikings (or their direct descendants, at least) knew and used other bows alongside the yew longbow. The "western" wood laminates are markedly different from more easterly ones, indicating perhaps indigenous evolution of an eastern import.

Tuukka

Offline Chad Bower

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:31:44 pm »
Thanks guys ! Now Im looking for Yew .

Thanks for the help !

Offline Chad Bower

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:41 am »
Im not believing the cost of yew...this is amazing...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:53:00 am »
Contact Radius. He just got some yew and I think he wants to trade.  The smooth barked yew is the best! ;D >:D ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 01:36:26 am »
There's been a lot of discussion (on this forum) on bows used by Vikings.  Just do a search.

Most will agree that bows used for war were much stronger than those used for hunting.  I used to believe that vikings may have used different types of bows (of various materials) but the more research I do, the more the evidence points to the use of man-tall bows made of yew.  Arrows were made of hardwood shoots with diamond or leaf shaped arrowheads of iron with pointed tangs.  The fletching was most likely goose or some other farm-raised bird. The bowstrings were made from plant fibers.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr