Author Topic: osage question  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

osage question
« on: July 09, 2009, 11:42:59 pm »
I have a piece of osage 50'' long 1 1/2'' wide with 6'' handle cut already what can I do with this ? I'm not sure how much draw length I can get outa this but I'd sure like to use it. Any suggestions would be very appreciated I just can't bare to use it as firewood.

Thanks
    Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline RyanY

Re: osage question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:51:40 pm »
I've never worked with osage but I'm willing to bet you could get a pretty heavy bow out of that wit probably about 25" of draw safely. I just made a hickory holmegaard that had pretty short 2" wide bending limbs. The bow was about 54" long with 9" stiff tips. I draw it to 26"-27" safely. Depending on how wide the handle is you may even get a little bend of of it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:09:54 am »
Do you have any pic of the stave. It doesn't take much osage to make a hunting weight bow. For a 22" to 25" draw it should work out OK(if it is a clean stave and you are a diligent bowyer  ;D ). A rawhide backing would make me feel better.  You could make a heck of a sinew backed bow. On shorter bows it is a good idea to recurve the tips a little bit to improve the string angle and reduce stacking and finger pinch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:33 am »
It has nearly no knots what so ever. I'm usually not smart enough to give up on something so i'd say im pretty dilligent. ;D I'll try to post pics in a couple days. The stave is at work and I'm on vacation till monday. I'd love to sinew back one but have never done it. Maybe I'll get on the tradin section and see if I can trade for some sinew.

Thanks
    Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn