Author Topic: Red Oak Linen Canvas Back  (Read 3035 times)

Grunt

Red Oak Linen Canvas Back
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:12:17 pm »
Here's a red oak with a 7oz linen canvas back. The bow is 68" and pulls 43# at 28". I can shoot this comfortably for an hour or so.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Red Oak Linen Canvas Back
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:01 pm »
Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:32:35 pm »
Very nice bow. I like your tiller. Oak is a very highly overlooked bow wood. Thanks for sharing. Dean

AKAPK

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:45 am »
 :) Like that,Peace

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:41:13 am »
Howdy Grunt,

That bow looks really nice and simple - nothin' fancy.  It's perfect for shootin' and huntin'.  And, I like the drawings / pattern on the back.  What did you use to color the back; markers, dyes, natural dyes, crayons,... ?

But, what also caught my eye was that plains style quiver - Very Nice!  I have recently made two of 'em, but mine weren't anything so decorative.  I'd really appreciate it if you would post a few pic.s of that quiver, so I can steal some of your design /  ideas for my next quiver.  (This next quiver will be a gift to a good friend.)  And, what are those white marks (dots?) along the edges?

BTW, I was just working on a Red Oak board yesterday.  It turned out pretty nice (about 48@28) - I'll have to post a few pic.s of it after staining.

Thanks for sharing your work - looks great.

Canoe

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:46:39 am by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:27:33 pm »
Nice bow, the poundage is easy on the shoulders, I know I can't pull over 55# comfortably anymore.
People can knoct themselfs out making those 100 pounders, I don't think I could pull that when I was 18 years old.
Good job on the bow
VB

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:43:28 pm »
Howdy Grunt,

That bow looks really nice and simple - nothin' fancy.  It's perfect for shootin' and huntin'.  And, I like the drawings / pattern on the back.  What did you use to color the back; markers, dyes, natural dyes, crayons,... ?

But, what also caught my eye was that plains style quiver - Very Nice!  I have recently made two of 'em, but mine weren't anything so decorative.  I'd really appreciate it if you would post a few pic.s of that quiver, so I can steal some of your design /  ideas for my next quiver.  (This next quiver will be a gift to a good friend.)  And, what are those white marks (dots?) along the edges?

BTW, I was just working on a Red Oak board yesterday.  It turned out pretty nice (about 48@28) - I'll have to post a few pic.s of it after staining.

Thanks for sharing your work - looks great.
Canoe

Canoe. There is a pict of the quiver in the Arrows forum under "latest quiver"  The white dots are white tile beads I got from Crazy Crow. The bow back linen canvas is painted with waterbased exterior enamel over spar varnish. I just buy red,blue and yellow and then mix up what I want with the help of a color wheel.