Author Topic: Tan lines  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Aries

Tan lines
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:40:01 pm »
Hey guys Ive had this batch of bamboo in my hot box for a little over two weeks now and it is still a light shade of green with golden streakes running about the boo splits. I believed that boo was dry when it was completely golden, but i'm not sure of this now because of how much heat these have taken over the past couple weeks.  This is my first experience drying bamboo so i need a few pointers about when it will be ready for bow backing and methods for drying it.
 Thanks guys Ty

[attachment deleted by admin]
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Timo

Re: Tan lines
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:25:01 pm »
Lay it in the sun for a couple days,It'll turn gold.

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:34:06 pm »
So do you think it is dry after a couple of weeks of well over 100 degrees?  Ill set it out in the sun today, how long do you imagine it'll take?
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:04:26 pm »
Unless you cut it yourself the boo was probably dry when you got it. It has hit an equilibrium with your R/H so a few days in the hot box will dry it out more. Like Tim said, a few days in the sun will give you the color you are looking for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 06:10:26 pm »
Bamboo is not completely golden in color until you scrape the rind off. Until then it has a green-yellowish color.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:32:11 pm »
  I quit scraping the rind off. I heard that it lessens the chance of the boo lifting a splinter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 06:38:44 pm »
if i leave the rind on do you think the boo will still accept a leather dye well?  And this boo had been fresh cut and sent to me soon after from alabama. How quick is the drying time on bamboo splits just sitting at air temp(approx 90-100degrees cause i live in OK ;D)?
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:55 pm »
I can't imagine how the rind could provide any splinter protection. I suspose if you don't scrape it off you don't have to worry about nicking the fibers in the process. I see two downsides to keeping the rind on: 1) it's waxy and won't hold a finish well, 2) it doesn't look very good. I don't know how long it takes to cure green bamboo. I have a large supply that is several years old. But I don't think it would take as long as wood.
Gordon

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 10:04:56 pm »
  I quit scraping the rind off. I heard that it lessens the chance of the boo lifting a splinter.
I heard the same but I scrape it off. I think it looks better for the most part but I see James has a way to stain it with the rind on and it looks really good. I think just a light sanding might be all that's needed
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 01:53:36 am »
i'm no expert but everything i've read states that bamboo stays the color it was when harvested. the bamboo in the picture looks like moso, or some other type of timber bamboo. check out this book "Bamboo for Gardens" by Ted Jordan Meredith.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club