Author Topic: New S.Tex Elm primitive  (Read 5123 times)

Tombow

New S.Tex Elm primitive
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:35:51 pm »
Almost done, I think. A screw up as I realized too late that the stave had split deep and I had to remove more wood than expected after thinning the handle. South Texas Cedar Elm, 72" total with Huisache nock overlays...pulling >60# at 28". Several small knots, so I left it thick in those areas and it has a "lumpy" look. Shoots fast, though.  Anyone ever stain a bow with old coffee?  Tom
IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/atkinsont/FullDraw.jpg[/IMG]

I just had to add some Huisache.....

Thanks for looking.!

Tombow

Re: New S.Tex Elm primitive
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:22 pm »
Some of the pics didn't come through.......I'll try again.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:35:11 pm »
Good job.. Tried the coffee not a lot of success though, couldnt get a dark enough stain.
Longview, TEXAS

Tombow

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:49:23 pm »

Couple more shots.....

Aosda

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:39:56 am »
Looks good.  I've tried coffee too on a scrap piece of wood, didn't come out too well.  But I had a thought that I'm gonna try by the weekend.  Ya know how coffee left in a hot pot too long turns to sludge?  I was thinking if you made a strong pot of coffee, then put in a sauce pan on the stove to reduce, you could try making a sort of gel stain.  I'm gonna be trying it on some knife scales.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:44:55 am »
Tombow, nice looking bow there. love the lumpy look. kinda funny, i tried cofee last week, one cup of water w/ 1 cup cofee on the stove to a boil, then i simmered till it was black as oil, strained it let it cool and tried on the bow..... nothin. this was on hickory so a little caramel colored already, i couldnt tell if it darkened it a bit. the sludge idea sounds promising to me tho, didnt take the time to get it that thick.

Dustin D.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:27:25 am by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 05:02:45 am »
Well done,how dose it shoot ? :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:39:12 am »
Nice job! Looks like it's braced a little low, though it could be just deceiving because the bow is so long.  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Tombow

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:11:56 am »
Thanks for the replys guys. Pappy, it shoots pretty good, a hard pull for me but I like the feel of that resistance and something to get used to. GregB, I may need a few more turns on the string, it is a bit uneven in the brace, so hard to tell. My next project will probably be Hackberry since I've been curing some and need a break from the Elm. I appreciate all the advice from you experts!  Tom

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:46 am »
Try plug chewing tobacco, chopped into a container of household ammonia.....thin as desired with water.   

piper

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:01:40 pm »
Nice, that's a primitive looking bow, great job! How about adding some white vinegar to the coffee? I know rit dye recommends it when setting. A friend of mine used folgers instant on a hickory board bow, looked nice. Good shootin, Steve

Tombow

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »
I boiled down some strong coffee this morning and applied; kinda' yellowish brown. It soaked in well on the belly but the back doesn't want to take it much. I'll take a picture once I put some finish on it. Thanks guys.
Tom

Tombow

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 07:08:33 pm »
Coffee stain.......

Aosda

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:57 pm »
 :D Now it has a nice sun tan.  I tried getting sludge, but after more than an hour all I did was reduce 8 cups of coffee down to one.  More of a motor oil.  I tried it on Maple, Hickory, Red Oak, and Cherry.  Two coats each.  I'll post pics for ya if ya want, so you can see the difference.

Tombow

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »
Aosda, I'll probably never use coffee again but just wanted to see how it worked. I boiled it down with the grains very to very little liquid, almost burned...well, burned. I was rubbing the grains and all into the wood. Sure I'd like to see your attempt!
Tom