Author Topic: Sinew?  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Kegan

Sinew?
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:37:49 pm »
I sinewed a bow this morning, a short flatbow, and was wondering about drying. The backing isn't very thick. I was hoping to take this bow with me on a weekend trip at the end of the month, but I don't have a full month to cure it like I wanted.

I've seen that letting it sit three or more weeks has a better effect than letting it sit only a couple, but can I move it into a hot parked car after a week (like I do for roughed out bows) to help dry it out a little faster, or should I just give it time?

coyote pup

Re: Sinew?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »
Excellent question. I have been wondering about the exact same thing. I sinewed a short bow two Saturdays ago with only 1 average thickness layer. It's been good and dry for a few days now, and I don't see what the extra 3 or 4 weeks of "cure" time would do for it.  :-\

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »
When you start getting above 120 degrees, the heat starts messing with the glue.  I don't see a problem drying it quickly, just not with heat.  Put it in a dry spot with a fan blowing on it.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:28:04 pm »
Once its dried to a clear state, you can push it with a hotbox or heated car as long as its not so hot it melts the glue.  For better or worse, I've put several in my hotbox that runs in the 110F range.  I don't know if 120F is the critical temp or not.

Just make sure it is dry first.  I put a still-wet sinew job out in the sun once, and the glue started oozing out.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:37:11 pm »
I would atleast crack the window some and keep an eye on it.  Depending on where you are and the temp, it can hit around 130 to 140 in a car with the windows rolled up.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:42:23 pm »
Thanks everyone :). I used KNox gellatin, if that makes any difference. I'll be sure to let it sit for a while first.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:01:17 pm »
Longer is always better ,safer anyway . It's hard to tell how dry it is under the surface . I think a longer drying time is not to only let the glue dry .But give enough time for the protean chains in the glue to attach and bond with the protean chains in the sinew ,and become homogeneous ,or stable . I consider a sinew layer done after the string tieing the bow in reflex quites getting slack,after a week or so .  Usually about a month .

Ralph

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:11:33 pm »
My thoughts on sinew are just that....My thoughts :) so a grain of sand may be required here.

Once the sinew is, like Lenny said,initially dry and clear, then the curing process for the most part is over. It will contiue to cure but for how long? With humidity levels up and down? Any post drying then, only comes from the wood that has obsorbed moisture from the wet sinew/glue. Induced  heating (drying box/hot car) reduces the moisture just like drying un seasoned wood.

I for one, would rather keep a fresh sinewed bow in a climate controlled area via air conditioned room/de humidifier, where moisture is removed, for a couple weeks, then maybe some low temp hot box for the wood itself.I figure a few days in that and one should be good to go? I've read where the natives would hang bows up in the top of tepees and let the smoke and heat from the lodge fire cure it. Was this for the sinew or the wood itself?

JMI. ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:21:56 pm »
I agree with Timo, the best place you can put it is over an A/C vent.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:42:07 pm »
Thanks everyone. This layer of sinew is very thin, and a day in the wind has already turned clear. I didn't tie it into reflex, but is it too late for me to pull it up a little?

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:55 pm »
No go ahead .It still has shrinking to do .And even if the layer isn't thick enough to hold the reflex .You will be letting the sinew shrink more than by not tieing it.And when it pulls back straight the sinew will be pre tensioned a bit . Sence sinew can stretch farther than wood ,this is a good thing. And it could move the neutral plane a little toward the back .

Ralph

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:03 pm »
I cheat....I put mine in my Gun Safe.....it has a Dehumidifier in it!!! But next to that....I would go with either the Garage with a Fan...or like Timo and Steve said....under an A/C Vent....you don't necessarily need heat....you need dry air....something to draw all of the Moisture out of the Glue and Sinew...and not degrade it as it is drying
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

AKAPK

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 09:35:28 pm »
Kegan Ya should have used some of that dried Hide Glue I sent ya ,I made it Myself It works Great, Just let it soak in warm water a little while stir it to get it reduced then start heating it below 140 Degrees if it gets to thick just add tiny water. Dry spot with a fan goin works great too like Our friend said.Phillip

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 10:12:58 am »
Thanks everyone :)

Phillip- I'm saving the hide glue for the next bow. This one is sort of a test, I guess, for putting a short backing on a longer bow, and didn't pull this one into alot of reflex (less than an icnh). I've never gotten to use real hide glue before, so I'm being a bit of a scrooge and saved it :D.

Oh, and the sinew you sent is simply OUTSTANDING. I had put the last of what I had had on an Osgae bow a few weeks ago, and the backing came out butt ugly to say the least. Your sinew, however, looks almost like glass and almost nothing like spaghetti :)!

AKAPK

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 02:35:53 pm »
thats cool, late reply 8)