Author Topic: setback-handle bows: let's see some pics  (Read 10361 times)

Offline Hojo

Re: setback-handle bows: let's see some pics
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »
Sailordad and Medicinewheel--thanks for the compliments.  The bow is from an osage stave that I wasn't too sure about when I started.  It was pretty narrow and didn't have much wood at the handle area.  It has some checks in the back near the curved tips that I wrapped with super-glue soaked upholstery thread; it seems to be working.  The bow is about 1 1/4" wide to just past midlimb and then tapers to 3/8" at the tips. 

These setback bows on this thread---gull wing or otherwise---sure are pleasing to the eye!

Offline shikari

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »
which meuseum are the bowsin thefirst picture from and does anyone have any info on the bow in the first picture,particularly the third bow from the top,the one with the red velvet covered handle.I would appericiate any info on that bow please.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 06:31:58 pm »
I thought I found the pics at the Society Of Archer-Antiquaries homepage; there is a thread on the Burgundy (Bourgogne) Bow but no pics.
Frank from Germany...

radius

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »
thanks guys...

i started working out that big branch last night...that wood is nowhere near ready, but it'll go faster in smaller dimension, huh?

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 12:39:12 am »
I suppose the handles are set back in this draft tamerisk basket bow and bamboo lam bundle bow.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:44:27 am by wolfsire »
Steve in LV, NV

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 02:14:21 am »
which meuseum are the bowsin thefirst picture from and does anyone have any info on the bow in the first picture,particularly the third bow from the top,the one with the red velvet covered handle.I would appericiate any info on that bow please.

Hey  shikari, I found it:  These bows are visible in the musée de l'archerie in Crepy en Valois north east of Paris.

There is info on the above mentioned website at:

http://www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

and

http://www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

There are also people you may want to contact about it!

Frank from Germany...

Offline shikari

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 10:41:49 am »
Thanks medicinewheel,my reason for asking was Because I think i have a duplicate of that bow,the bow is really old was hanging on a set of racks with a deer tag dated 1955 and there are no makers marks or any numbers on the bow,the handle is wrapped in cotton cord and then was wrapped in burgundy colour felt or whatever its called,it draws 90 #@28,yes I strung it up and shot it but don't anymore when i realised how old it is.Noone has any info on the bow or maker unfortunately.I will take some picks and post them.