Author Topic: bison back sinew  (Read 10035 times)

Offline bigcountry

Re: bison back sinew
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 02:42:17 pm »
Ok, I just said to myself, I should call the butcher and bother them.  They said they won't take the time to take off the silverskin off the back straps, due to damage to the meat.  But they said this is the tendon that connects the back to the neck and said some use this for primitive projects. 

Glad I got it figured out.  Still don't have what I want.  But after drying it and tearing it into quarters, it seems like will work for wrappings and such. 

Hope mullet still wants it.
Westminster, MD

AKAPK

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 04:11:06 am »
that looks just like the neck tendin I got a few weeks ago I ended up tossing is cause it would stretch then snap just like a rubberband. :)

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 09:59:44 am »
that looks just like the neck tendin I got a few weeks ago I ended up tossing is cause it would stretch then snap just like a rubberband. :)

I think your right.  All the stuff I dried snaps like a twig now.
Westminster, MD

AKAPK

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 03:15:07 am »
Sorry to hear that, I even Rebacked my osage plaines bow with Deer sinew Because i was doubting the neck tendin, now if I would have started with the cow leg tendin, that may have been  been ok.Phillip

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:36 am »
After seeing how it acted after being dried, I don't think I want it on a bow.  Guess I have to toss all of it.  Glad I found out what it was before shipping to mullet. 
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:00 am »
Wonder if the stuff would make hide glue?
Westminster, MD

Offline uwe

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 03:50:53 pm »
I didn`t know what it actually, when I got horsetendons some day. It was fat and cracked into little parts. It was sinew, but was the problem? I don`t know. The next horsesinew was okay. It behaved like all the others I`ve worked with.
Regards Uwe

AKAPK

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »
I tried to make glue But it Was still full of Grease and I know that Cow Leg tendin Does work Ok  I should Have Listened to Mark in Eng.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 12:38:48 am »
Hi Guys,  The topic of neck sinews has come up before.  Payne-Galway mentions it as the sinew to use for crossbows, etc., but it does not work!  It won't dry or shred properly.  Dispose of it and get back or leg sinews.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 12:50:38 am »
I tossed it.  wasted time but lesson learned.  I still have 5lbs of it in the freezer.  I plan on throwing it away too.  I wonder if one could make hide glue from it?
Westminster, MD