Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 2238 times)

Offline newknapper

Two questions
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:03 am »
Got a 55" tip to tip red oak (stave) D-Bow in the works, what is a safe draw length for this length and style bow/wood?

Question number 2: On this same bow I am wanting to put side nocks on it (the kind with only one groove) my question is do I put the string grooves on opposite sides of the bow or the same side.

Offline RyanY

Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:19 am »
I've heard that a safe draw for any bow is two times your draw length plus 10% of that is a good bow length. Do that backwards and the draw you get is 24.75". Not sure what you mean by side nocks.

Offline shamus

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:58:51 am »
thoughts of mine on bow length: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/06/selfbow-length.html

hope that helps.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:50:55 am »
If it is good clean wood I usually won't go any shorter than twice my draw plus the non bending
part of the handle and fads.Keep in mind if the bow is 55 T-T it will probably only be 53 n-n witch
is what matters.Don't know on the side knocks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline newknapper

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:18:01 am »
When I talk about side side I mean like these, I went on ahead and put them opposite of each other, which is probly wrong.       

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2829.0.html

The bow is for a young boy I think he is at 20" draw now but want to make it 23" just to be safe.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:57:15 am »
Still not sure on the side nocks,I am sure Pat or someone will chime in soon.You will be fine on the length. Can't wait to see it all finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:31:37 am »
Yeah, opposite is way to go with the single side nocks. How wide is the bow and what poundage is it pulling? 23" should be do-able if it's not too heavy.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:31:19 pm »
I made a red oak d-bow with sidenocks like you describe (just on one tip though) 56" long.  It draws 50+ at 26" although it took quite a bit of set before I heat treated it.  I have a red maple one too 56" long pulling 40# at 28". 

With bend in the handle bows, you can get away with a longer draw length if you make the entire limb bend or if you make it a tad wider.  Short bows get more set and stack more is all.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.