Author Topic: Knox Gelatin Ratio for sinew?  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Barrage

Knox Gelatin Ratio for sinew?
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:11:54 pm »
Didn't want to highjack Kegan's sinew topic...

What ratio are people using for Knox gelatin for applying sinew to bows?  I think it says 1 1/2 cups water per packet (could be wrong, just going from memory here) on the box.  Is this about right?  Usiing warm water?
Thanks.
Travis

coyote pup

Re: Knox Gelatin Ratio for sinew?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:52:08 pm »
I do about 3 parts COLD water to 1 part Knox. Make sure you dissolve it first in cold water, doesn't have to be freezing but the warmer it is the less it will dissolve and remian grainy or lumpy. What it says on the packet is for jello, not for glue. So for sinewing we have to tweek to make it stronger.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »
I mix it up thick, just add water until it looks right, you can add more gelatin or water if need be. 1 1/2 cups of water per packet would be way too thin. Like coyote said, mix it with cold water at first or you'll have a mess. Then heat it gently until it's the way you want it, a double-boiler setup works the best for me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »
I use an old flea market crock pot for a dbl boiler. I made a wood lid with a hole in it to except a small bowl,fill the pot with enough water so that the bowl swims a bit.Once mine it warmed up and set on Low it will maintain 135 degrees,which seems to work out perty well.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:40:30 pm »
Why does everyone use a double boiler?  I have some little baby crock pots that get exactly to 135degrees I guess are used as warmers.  I plan on useing these in the future.  But I wasn't going to double boil just put the knox right in.  Is there any benefit to a double boiler?
Westminster, MD

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22:55 pm »
Mainly for clean up Big. ;) Not sure though what you are meaning by "baby crock pots"?

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:04:19 pm »
I just use the microwave.

Once it is all mixed up, 30 seconds is perfect temp.  When it starts to cool, that is time to put another few layers in the warm water and the glue back in the micro for 30 seconds.

As far as the mix, I just mix it up until it feels right.  Lately I've been mixing knox and rabbit glue, working good.
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:37:39 pm »
Mainly for clean up Big. ;) Not sure though what you are meaning by "baby crock pots"?

They are these little dip warmers that usually come free with crockpots.  You can only get like 1 cup of water in em.  I tested em, and they only get to 125-130degrees, so figured that would be perfect.
Westminster, MD

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:52:10 pm »
Never seen them before but they sound perfect! Gotta pic for us?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:09:47 am »
This is a Baby Crock Pot....and thats what I use...when I am done I either Freeze the whole thing or if I am going to Sinew anything else in a Week or so....I just put it in the Back of the Fridge...it keeps for weeks.......

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome