Author Topic: Encyclopedia of Native Amer. Bows and Quivers Part2, page 152  (Read 4324 times)

Offline xin

Re: Encyclopedia of Native Amer. Bows and Quivers Part2, page 152
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »
Uwe,  I live in North Tx not far from the Red River.  One hundred twenty-five years ago the Commanche, Pawnee,  and  Kiowa were still hunting  buffalo here with the same style bow that you make so well.  Some of the Commanche made a slightly longer bow 50 -52 inches, as you described, with a slight recurve.  I suspect your replication of this type bow will be a real screamer.  Looking forward to seeing it posted.  An interesting side note just occurred to me that you may find interesting.  The middle and late nineteenth century saw a heavy German immigration into Tx, especially North Tx and the Hill Country of Central Tx.  This area was part of the hunting grounds of the Commanche.  Sadly, many of the humans which fell victim to this type bow were German Immigrants.  Before the revolver and repeating rifle, if one came upon  Indians , expecially Commanche, you didn't have a chance with a single shot rifle or pistol.  We have a brief history here in the US, but I think a fairly colorful one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:47:18 pm by xin »

Offline uwe

Re: Encyclopedia of Native Amer. Bows and Quivers Part2, page 152
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 10:00:49 am »
Yes, thats it. The Comanche were excellent riders, shooting a bow from under the horses belly so on. Thats amazing riding technic.
German emigrants were the victims, sadly for every dead one if warrior or emigrant. All treaties between Natives and Whites had only one purpose: it had to be broken. Its no wonder that all these things happened.