Author Topic: Grooving Red Osier  (Read 5924 times)

Jake Levi

Grooving Red Osier
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:35:43 am »

I am picking up some red osier shafts next week, and will be grooving them,

I am wondering if there is any advantage to making the grooves in line with the fletching, or putting them in line with the space between the fletching ? 

There would be a very slight working advantage to putting the grooves in line with the fletching, not much, or offsetting them to the fletching.

Offline sailordad

Re: Grooving Red Osier
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:41 am »
never tried grooving my osier
i just striaghten them,fletch them,put on a point and shoot them
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:10:22 am »

I think this should be the phrase of the day!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:25:33 am »
Get da groove on baby :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:42:40 am »
Groovy! I think that grooving dogwood shafts helps them stay straighter, but I dont think it matters where the grooves are.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:56:56 am »

I think this should be the phrase of the day!! ;D

Now that's funny :D

Wife just asked what I was giggeling at. Told her nothing important ;D ::)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »
I made a shaft groover but only use it a few times. If cured properly and tempered after straightening I find grooving shoot shafts not necessary. I did groove a set of red osier plains type arrows I donated to the Classic last year to make them a little more authentic.
  Here is my grooving tool. It is a split hickory pole with a groove(for the shaft) and a drywall nail with the point made into a blade. Works pretty well with practice and constant pressure as you draw it along the shaft.

If you look close in the bottom pic you can see the groove in one or two arrows.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Jake Levi

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:54 pm »
Hi Pat

Thats pretty much how I was planning on doing it.

I have only seen a very few really old red osier shafts and they were all grooved, supposed to stay straight longer. The ones I have seen bear this out, except for some in museums that are standing upright and are now bent.

Thanks for the pics Pat, very nice looking arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »
I have a red osier arrow I made years ago and tempered but did not groove. It is as straight as any of my arrows so I don't believe grooving is necessary. It surely won't hurt anything though.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Jake Levi

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:16 am »
I have several I have had about ten years that arnt grooved but straight, from what i have read grooving them is as much to keep them straight during working on them as for later. I dont know.

These are for Plains style arrows and the oldest ones of those I have seen are grooved.

Cetan Luta

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »
Grooving definitely works in my experience, although I get the same effect with 2 or 3 grooves spaced evenly from the point to the front edge of fletching. For plains NA arrows, cutting the self nock at the base of the shoot not only facilitates an authentic, flared nock but also makes grooving the entire shaft length largely unnecessary. Most plains NA arrows have 2 or 3 grooves - either straight, wavy, or a combination - running from the point or just behind the point binding to the front fletching edge. The bases of dogwood shoots are usually fairly straight, while as the shoots grow the small offshoots can cause kinks. Grooving this area is the most important. The key is to roughly straighten the shafts, then groove them, then grease and heat them for final straightening. This creates the small, hardened ridges along the grooves that inhibit warping.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jake Levi

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »
Thanks for the good info,

have been on the road, picked up the red osier last week in MT, hope to hav e several along to take to the Back to The Bow Project in mid june at Eagle Butte, SD.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 10:30:12 am »
I made a jig and tried it. I found that it was  unnecessary.  I found that straightening every few days was magical. No heat needed. Therefore, no groovin'. But I love the song "Groovin' "by the Young Rascals. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »
George, you are aging yourself...and me!  ;D  That song reminds me of Savannah Beach in the summers, eating burgers at the Triangle Drive In and surfing. OH! the good old days! 8)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:22:16 pm »
It's no secret, Pat, I am a child of the 50's and 60's. That song  was a good one. I like the Young Rascals. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!