Author Topic: Sawblade knife question  (Read 2742 times)

Offline KShip85

Sawblade knife question
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:14:52 pm »
OK, well I am not sure if this is the right place or not but I just recently read the how to on making a gut-hook knife from an old saw blade and in the process of trying to harden it managed to put a crack in the blade starting at the hook and going a little over a third through the blade.  I was wondering if it is possible to mend, possibly by welding.  If not I suppose its not a huge loss an I will just try again, but I was really hoping this might be fixable.  Thanks for the help.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Sawblade knife question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:25:07 pm »
You could weld it ( forge welding would be better), but probably won't be able to get it to look right due to the thin steel.  What exactly were you doing when it cracked?  Quenching?  I have cracked a few when the oil was not quite hot enough.  Also, if you lay it flat it in the oil, there is a greater chance of it warping and cracking.  I put it in the oil with the blade vertical, like I am trying to cut the oil. 

Offline KShip85

Re: Sawblade knife question
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:38:59 pm »
I did crack it while quenching.  I might try welding it and if it does not work then oh well.  Looking at it again, it looks like it might have a slight warp in it anyways.  Thanks for the help.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN