Author Topic: New field finds  (Read 4207 times)

Offline FlintWalker

New field finds
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »
I checked out a new field today.  This one is about a mile up the road from my house.  It's 60 acres of tobacco and only about 1 acre of it has any points. >:(  I'm not complaining though. At least it has some. 8)
 Here's a few pictures I snapped for those who like this kinda thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: New field finds
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
more

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:01:04 pm »
Those are some n ice finds Shannon.  If you go back after another rain storm, you may find some of the broken tips to match what you got this time.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:48:03 pm »
Wow, to find all those items, very lucky.
VB

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:55:18 pm »
i wish i could find some...get on your hunting...so,are you saving and framing them...that would look cool on the wall.john

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:44 pm »
Cool stuff. Half the land around here used to be burley tobacco patches, it's a thing of the past now. What few good arrowhead fields are left are planted in silage corn, and they don't plow them any more, just rip 'em up a little with a cultivator or plant no-till right through the winter rye stubble.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline xin

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 11:32:47 pm »
That looks like some good smoking.  Nice points too.

PeteDavis

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:23 pm »
Good day in the fields.
Thanks for sharing.
PD

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 12:07:49 am »
Madcrow, believe it or not, most all the breaks on the points I find are ancient fractures. The plows don't break as many as one would think.   In 25 years of finding points, I've never found two halves from the same point.

Blacktail, most of these will end up in a bucket.  I only put really nice ones in cases. That amounts to maybe 3 or 4 a year.

Steve, it's the same way around here.  When I was a boy, every farmer raised a few acres of "backer", and you had lots more chances of one of those patches being over a camp site.  Now just a few big growers raise it, and then it's usually in a couple BIG patches. The guy who owns this patch raises 175 acres. This patch alone, is 60 acres.

I know of a few fields that are now in hay, that are unbelievable.  I'll probably never see them broken again. :(

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 02:45:34 am »
Hey Shannon, I found a nice point on Biggerstaff Barge last summer.  I put it with the rest of my small collection and can't remember which one it was, or I'd post a picture.  I think I know which one it is, but not sure.  I'l ask my friend Brian this weekend.  I was at his place, so he'll remember.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:44:43 am »
Looks like fun Shannon, if they could only speak to us...what stories they might tell.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 10:12:05 pm »
It amazes me how you find so many points.  That must have been a really populated area.  Thanks for sharing.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:25 pm »
good stuff Shannon! Don't look like anything you found while I was talkin to ya (for luck ;D). Wish I was there with ya...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 12:39:43 am »
Thanks for posting.  It is refreshing to see some field finds...I about forget what they look like.  Like Steve said, most planting is scratch plow or grain drilled in.  To find a deep plowed field that nobody else beat you to is truly a rare thing. Most of the fields that are still open have been picked over hard too.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 09:03:41 am »
Awesome finds ! I don't spend much time specifically hunting points anymore, the good places get lots of pressure and the otherspots don't get plowed much anymore. Right now everything is covered up with row crops. Lately I've been finding them in the small creeks and sandbars whe the rivers' are down. Thanks for the pics.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956