Author Topic: heat treating osage bow after snake skins  (Read 2441 times)

Offline huntinoly

heat treating osage bow after snake skins
« on: July 10, 2009, 08:22:35 pm »
I finished an osage bow, a month or so ago and it ended up 62# @ 27" that is about 5 pounds more that I am use to. So I want to take off some weight and the bow has about .5" string follow. So I want to heat treat it and put a little reflex in, I have put snake skins on with liquid hide glue and do not want to ruin them. An idea if it will hurt the snake skins, also I have 7 coats of finish over the skins and bow. Thanks Greg

Offline Gordon

Re: heat treating osage bow after snake skins
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
Greg,

A high heat will liquify and cook the hide glue and ruin the finish. I wouldn't try it.

Gordon
Gordon

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:43 pm »
I guess I will leave the string follow and take a few pounds off. I normally I am very consistant shooting and either the extra five pounds or the short bow it's 57" ntn  seems to make me less consistant. Greg

Offline yazoo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:31:13 pm »
a half in string follow is not a big deal,, just use a scraper to remove a little wood and go very slow
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:53:47 pm »
 I've seen you shoot and it seems unlikely that an additional 5# of draw weight would have much of an effect on your shooting. I bet it's the short length of the bow. I love short bows, but I have a devil of a time shooting them consistently.
Gordon

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 02:56:10 pm »
The arrows I was using were spined light, I try some diferent arrows today and my groups are back to normal. I am off to scout for elk tomarrow, I can not wait for september. Greg

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 05:49:13 pm »
You're worried about a half inch of set?! Don't be. It's actually a good thing. Just gently take off a bit more wood, until you hit your desired weight. Go slow... it won't take much!