Author Topic: Two New Laminated Bows begun  (Read 11142 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Two New Laminated Bows begun
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »
I dressed up some sliced osage and hickory today and glued up two new blanks.   One is Hickory/hickory and the other is osage/osage/hickory.   

I know hick/hick seems like a waste of time, but I had it, and i have liked my hickory self-bows.   I figured that a hick/hick lamination would "average" out some bad habits or weak spots. 

Same thing with the osage.  I am assuming that several lam's will over-ride any grain problems and give me some strong blanks. 

piper

Offline DanaM

Re: Two New Laminated Bows begun
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »
Looking forward to some finished pictures Kieth :) And actually hickory backed hickory can make an very fast bow 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:34:02 pm »
Here's a couple pics.  First, the glue of choice.   I figure 40% of you will like it, 40% will hate it, and the other 20% don't care.

A line of clamps, doing their thing:

And a different angle.   It's nice to have a big box of clamps when you need them. 

The handle area of the whole stack:

There are two bow blanks in here, the hick/hick, that's the one with the handle sawn into it.  And the osage/osage/hick below that.   I put wide packing tape on one lam so that they would not glue up into one big elephant hunting bow. 

When i can get some more time i'll saw out the back profile and proceed to make dust. 

piper

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »
I pulled the clamps off today, and in a big surprise to myself, I EVEN PUT THEM AWAY IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!

The two blanks didn't bond together, thanks to the packing tape.  I peeled that off and trimmed the blanks on the bandsaw, drew a proper center line on the o/o/h and cut out a nice spalted curly maple handle blank.   Here it is glued and clamped.

a close up of the handle area on the o/o/h

and one of just a side view of the stack

Here's one of the H/H just to show the lamination line and thicknesses

and a group photo of both the blanks side by side:

More to follow, as time allows.  Piper

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:44:27 pm »
 Nice Pictures, Kieth, and I like your choice of glue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:45:48 pm »
I like it more more. ;DRon
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:35 pm »
Mullet, I'll log you into the 40% approve column.   I am hoping to keep the handle NON-BENDY so that the maple graft stays on there.  The bow is just under five feet overall length, so if i keep a portion in the middle not bending, the rest of the limbs will be working pretty hard.  hmmm......gonna have to think about this one a little.  piper

(opinions, kibutzing, ideas, complaints and comments welcomed)

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:50:53 pm »
BTW, that spalted curly maple was scrap left over from the current violin build.  I may have to post pics of that, too, one of these days.  piper

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 06:19:27 am »
Glue is Glue as far as I am concerned,what ever will hold.Looking good so far can't wait to see what you turn out.Love to see the Violin also.Got a new guy at the club that just finished his first selfbow
that has built some Violins and he was worried about patients.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:51:32 am »
Piper, I used plastic resin after a bowyer from Italy(Alberto) suggested using it as a substitute for Urac. I found it very similar to Urac and liked the simplicity of it. The bows I glued up with it are still together and it has been at least 3 years since I used this glue. Put me in the positive column! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 12:07:33 am »
Ain't nothing wrong with Hickory backed Hickory......and ain't nothing wrong with WeldWood either.....I even like Da Smell..... >:D

Keep Us Posted
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 12:32:47 pm »
I spent a few frustrating minutes yesterday planing the sides of the O/O/H blank.  As expected the conflicting runout, which probably contributes to the overall strength of the bow, makes planing with anything a real b***h.    Back to the grinder.....or maybe a very light cut with the power plane.  more as it develops.   piper  (practicing up on my cuss-words)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:36:40 pm »
                                                       Keyword here is ...........Beltsander........ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »
ElDestructo......shhhhhh.....we can't say (beltsander) here can we?   :) :)

Dang belts are not getting any cheaper, either. 

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09:12 am »
looking good mr. kieth. im glad you finally decided to work on a few more, cant wait till you finish em.

guys i have the first lam bow he made. it is a short little hick backed osage, and it serriously shoots nearly as fast as my 55# pearson fiberglass lam bow. they shoot really well, and these should be even better.  ;D
lets just shoot it