Author Topic: bear grease v.s. rawhide, titebond?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline aaron

bear grease v.s. rawhide, titebond?
« on: June 30, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »
I'm just finishing up on a rawhide backed osage. the rawhide was glued with TBIII and will be painted with hide glue based paint. Is there any problem using bear grease on this combo- how does it affect the rawhide? I live and hunt in the pacific north west- very dewy, rainy in sept.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: bear grease v.s. rawhide, titebond?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »
I have never use that combo. I would think the rawhide might get a little stinky with the grease on it. I also do not think that the grease would keep enough moisture out of the rawhide. I would be worried about the rawhide coming loose if not sealed properly if you live in a real damp area. This is my opinion. See if anyone else chimes in with more experience on this combo.
Why did you back the osage? just curious.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »
I backed it 'cos it had a flaw in the back (a tiny splinter tore off when chasing a ring) and so just wanted extra assurance with the short bow. my first osage.
what else besides bear grease might go well with rawhide?- I dont want to polyurethane it.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:57:17 pm »
I don't think you would have any problems between the bear grease and glue or rawhide. I used to use bear grease on my leather boots all the time to waterproof them. If you're wanting to go with a natural finish that's authentic for North America, bear grease is probably the best one out there. It beads water off extremely well.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:51 pm »
Now that someone with experience has chimed in, you have better advice. I was not sure. I was just curious about the backing no harm intended. So now we both have learned something. Thanks Hillbilly.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:40 pm »
I'm thinking you will have a problem with the hide glue based paint. Your designs may run if it gets too wet. When I apply rawhide with TBIII I usually add a thin coat of glue over(same with snake skins) the rawhide to water proof it better. I then add my regular finish(Tru-Oil).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Juniper

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:11:17 pm »
I recently painted a rawhide backed bow with water based paint and then finished with some homemade pine sap varnish.  Didn't have any trouble with the paint or the rawhide.  The varnish takes a while to dry, but seems to work pretty good.  They discuss this type of varnish in one of the TBB's.  I can't remember which one. 

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »
thanks everyone for the advice. i've never tried the pitch-based varnish, but that would probably be a good one too. I have tested the bear grease on the paint and it doesn't seem to smudge much- just darkens it.... I have a bunch of natural pigments from a garage sale- burnt umber, yellow ochre, "green earths", purplish iron oxide, etc...etc... to many colors to choose from!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA